Stuck with arranging

- ask away
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Stuck with arranging

Post by Dektro »

This happens more and more lately. I find making a good sounding loop very easy, this comes naturally. But then when I start arranging the trouble begins. :( I find the tracks I made lately becoming boring after a short period of time when i compare them with tracks I like. I've read a lot about this phenomenon, and the solution seems to be making short bits that distract the listener from the main loop of the song.

Now I tried to do this with several tracks, but as a result it always sounds as if I just putted some random hits in it, there seems to be no cohesion between the distracting bits and the main idea.

For example this song I made: Soundcloud
I also tried playing around a bit with a piano in the key of the song, and mixing that to the background so it doesn't interfere with the main idea, but I didn't like the result. Any ideas?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Instead of arranging, you could try recording the track live, muting and unmuting parts, playing with filters and other parameters, even playing keys or drum pads live if you got the chops for that. The end result might not be as polished as a perfectly arranged and automated product, but a bit of rawness and unpredictability never hurt anyone.

I absolutely hate arranging, that's why all of my tracks are live jams. It's a much longer road that way I think, but in the end the results will be truly unique and magnificent (I hope).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

+10001

its absolutely got to be live jamming for me, i never arrange anything now.

all you have to do is get a good system of hands on modulation controls, and ways of evolving the sequence as you move forward.

then you're playing an instrument instead of designing.

its not for everybody, and its hard work, but for me its worth it.

arranging something would be a nightmare for me.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Or you could just multi-track record it, so if you do mess up you can just go back and edit it with ease.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

::BLM:: wrote:Or you could just multi-track record it, so if you do mess up you can just go back and edit it with ease.
this is what i do.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I had a listen to your track. It's a nice idea indeed.
For sure you don't need the first minute. Chop that for start.
Maybe bring the piano up earlier. The loops a good one so you don't need much to change really.
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

Thx for the feedback.
I always record parameters on the go (sends, filter cutoffs, ...) but I find altering my loops on the go pretty hard, since I mostly use sample based loops for melodies. I did try chopping the loops down to pieces and rearranging them, but this is something you can't do while you are recording live.
ALT.noize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ALT.noize »

i think arranging is one of the hardest parts of producing. i find that the best thing for me is just throw everything on the canvass so to speak and then start taking parts out moving stuff aroung and just see what happens! 8) 8) force yourself into it !!

save mulitple examples and just keep what sounds good. things also can happen by mistake which is the best way lol :)