Distorted things..

- ask away
Armando
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Distorted things..

Post by Armando »

In some dark techno tracks as this, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102cdNpn3bo
you can find things that sound distorted like noises, hats, snares, kicks..i really like it..and i'ld like to know how can i do it.
I saw an interview, but i don't remember the name of the artist..anyway, he said that he used to pute a vinyl distortion on things, or something similar..anyone can help me?
What do you use to distort in your tracks?

Cheers
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Try a tube warmer. Works a treat on hats.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

software distortion is the work of the devil, and not in a good dirty distorted way, more like in a Gary Glitter kind of way.

Get a proper circuit. Every single transistor based fuzz pedal will be better than a software distortion, and there is a large number that will make you stay indoors for months at a time making fuzzy distorted white noise sounds.

Or maybe record to a tape machine.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

in order of preference for me;

1-tube distortion

2-slightly overdriving an analogue mixer

and at a push;
3-slightly overdriving a transistor distortion, heavy overdrive sounds sh!t.
you can get a fairly warm distortion out of say a moogerfooger LP1 if you dont over do it.

the distortion on that tommy 4 seven track sounds horrible
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

theres more than one distortion at play for shure (original + ... + mp3 + youtube + ...)
but yea. orrible :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:software distortion is the work of the devil, and not in a good dirty distorted way, more like in a Gary Glitter kind of way.

Get a proper circuit. Every single transistor based fuzz pedal will be better than a software distortion, and there is a large number that will make you stay indoors for months at a time making fuzzy distorted white noise sounds.

Or maybe record to a tape machine.
lots of people love the sound of downsampling, try doing that with analogue.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote: lots of people love the sound of downsampling, try doing that with analogue.
yeah downsampling is a nice effect. all other software distortions I tried had no soul, character or balls.

transistor fuzz works wonderfully on the right sounds imo.usually those sounds are just 6 strings of a guitar (detuned to taste), but I reckon you could do stuff creatively with filtering that would be appropriate for techno.

Tape distortion sounds shitty but when pushed just right adds a totally unique effect.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Tommy will tell you himself, right here http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1308