absynth 5 question

- ask away
Daeronb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

absynth 5 question

Post by Daeronb »

yoyo,

Some sounds in absynth5 (like mostly percussion) dont scale with midi note input. i.e. you cant make a melody with it, while with other sounds you can.

is there a setting in absynth that decides that?

Sometimes when i randomize a sound, suddenly an unscaleable sound becomes scaleable. what causes this?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I have absynth at home, but I've barely used it (too much other gear).
I'm at work now, so can't check at the moment.

but purely from a sound designers point of view, this sounds to me like it's key tracking that is not selected for the pitch.
or an option that makes ure the pitch stays "constant" at the same level.
the result is the same : the pitch of the note is constant and doesn't follow the note you play on your keyboard.

"key tracking" means that which note you play affects whatever parameter you route the "key tracking" too.
But most commonly key tracking is already fixed, so that it's already routed to a parameter for you, in other words : you can usually not chose what you route the key-tracking to.
Usually it's used for filters only, typically so that the cutoff opens more for higher notes than for lower notes.
They usually leave it out for pitch, presuming you don't need it and want your pitch to respond 100% normally to the keys you play, but it's an option on the more advanced synths, and absynth is definitely a very advanced softsynth.

I know Massive has some very adjustable key tracking functions, for example, so I presume Absynth has at least the same but probably even more advanced key tracking options.
Have a look around, because it's either that or some "constant pitch" option that is selected for these sounds.

the fact that after randomization you can scale an unscaleable sound or vice versa is because the keyscaling option or the "constant pitch" option (whichever of the two it was) got randomized and therefore changed as well.
With massive you can select which parts of the synth you want randomized, I presume those options exist with absynth as well.
Usually, the results of randomizations become a LOT more useable after you personally deselect a few options.

If you can't find it, send me a PM with some examples of the sounds you mean, and I'll have a look when I'm in reach of absynth.

let me know if this was helpful.
zeropoint
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by zeropoint »

the tuning mode setting is in the oscillator window of the patch editor. drop down menu above the phase button.

for non scaleable sounds set to either hz or note to give a fixed pitch displayed as either frequency or note value. for scaleable sounds set to either trans or ratio.

trans is the transpose setting for dialling in semitone and partial tone detuning for the oscillator

ratio is used for setting up the carrier modulator relationship if the oscillator is set to FM, but non FM sounds will still scale and respond to the ratio setting by detuning in terms of octaves or partial octaves. so a ratio change of + "1" will raise the tuning of that osc by 1 octave and so on......