static pops with decks?

- open
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

static pops with decks?

Post by fredrik_h »

I'm having this problem with my new pickups that it sometimes does sort of static pop bursts, I've used ortofon before but recently switched to shure m447... and since then this problem has appeared. (the problem appears on both of my decks (got one 1200mk2 and a 1210mk2)

I'm using these settings:
weight: 3
height: 6 (mainly because my 1200mk2 height control has stuck in some way... maybe someone know how to cure that aswell? and yes, I have unlocked it :lol: )

(and oh, yeah - anti-skate set to zero)

would be glad if someone could help me...
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

come on, no one experienced something like this? :?
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: static pops with decks?

Post by braz »

fredrikburok wrote:I'm having this problem with my new pickups that it sometimes does sort of static pop bursts, I've used ortofon before but recently switched to shure m447... and since then this problem has appeared. (the problem appears on both of my decks (got one 1200mk2 and a 1210mk2)

height: 6 (mainly because my 1200mk2 height control has stuck in some way... maybe someone know how to cure that aswell? and yes, I have unlocked it :lol: )

Dont know whats up with teh static pop burst, but when you have 3 grams weight on you needle, you should set the anti skating on 3 also dude! Did u balance you needle (element)?
This is what u should do:

set anti skating at 0

search the point that you tone arm balances horizontally, this is you starting point.

put weight at 0 and then adjust it to the grams u need for your shure m447.

set anti skating at exact the same amount of weight thats on your needle.

Good luck!
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: static pops with decks?

Post by fredrik_h »

braz wrote:
fredrikburok wrote:I'm having this problem with my new pickups that it sometimes does sort of static pop bursts, I've used ortofon before but recently switched to shure m447... and since then this problem has appeared. (the problem appears on both of my decks (got one 1200mk2 and a 1210mk2)

Dont know whats up with teh static pop burst, but when you have 3 grams weight on you needle, you should set the anti skating on 3 also dude! Did u balance you needle (element)?
This is what u should do:

set anti skating at 0

search the point that you tone arm balances horizontally, this is you starting point.

put weight at 0 and then adjust it to the grams u need for your shure m447.

set anti skating at exact the same amount of weight thats on your needle.

Good luck!
Yeah I know about the other stuff, but I wasn't aware of that you should set the antiskate to the same value as the weight? (never heard of that, as far as I know - you should avoid it as much as possible)

when I read the folder that follows with the shure pickup, it said that anti-skate should be zero if you intend to dj with it...? (3 grams are suggested as weight aswell in the manual, so it should be right... Have tried other settings aswell, without success.)

thanks for the reply anyway :)
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Braz is correct - I'm fairly sure the technics manual guides you through this and the fact that the antiskate does indeed have to be the same.

Static pop burst ? Weird, I've got a techics deck, but also a really old mashed in one, the needle is really bad, and the anti sakte isn't setup correctly, and I don't get any static burst or whatnot - the needle just jumps evertyime it hits a loud sound and typically the needle skates across the record.

So I don't use it, doesn't make any static pop tho, are you sure you have the connections in OK where the needle meets the cart etc.

S about all I can think of mate.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

the weird part is that it only appear sometimes, and it sounds like a static "pop"... I've got the same problem with both decks, and with both of the new shure-pickups... I've tried different settings aswell

but thanks for the advice, I never heard of that really...

but hey, if you're using more than 3 in weight, should one just pull up the anti-skate to max (3) even though they might not match?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

note: a friend of mine (using the same pickup's which I've bought now) had the same problem with these static pops, he said that it disappeared after he was fucking around with the anti-skate aswell, unfortuanly that doesn't seem to help here...
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

any other takers on this problem... it is _very_ annoying with this pops, sure I love a bit of random noise and jitters which vinyl generate, but these pops are very loud & unpleasant.

weird that no one have experienced it more than me and the friend of mine...