when is bass off-centre/chorused acceptable?

- ask away
dan?
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dan? »

it was acceptable in the 80's it was acceptable at the time.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

deccard wrote:dont forget that below (about) 80hz the human ear cant localize the source of sounds. you know all those kids with the subwoofer in the trunk? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3iK_sTUjs
Try sticking a pair of headphones on, lopsided low end sounds are seriously annoying. I'm all for experimentation but some things are just plain rubbish.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

AK wrote:
deccard wrote:dont forget that below (about) 80hz the human ear cant localize the source of sounds. you know all those kids with the subwoofer in the trunk? ;)

Try sticking a pair of headphones on, lopsided low end sounds are seriously annoying. I'm all for experimentation but some things are just plain rubbish.
i dont care. each to their own. hardpanned complete drumsets/bassplayer have been a standard in jazz recordings long time ago...let´s see what people think in 30 years of the rubbish we do at the moment :)
for me personally it´s not my thing and doesnt make sense panning a subbass. but i like recordings (non club music) which are a bit more creative or less standard with the positionig of sounds in the stereo image.
funny thing is there are pro mixing engineers who prefer two subwoofers (stereo) for their mixing...
techno made me do it
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

deccard wrote:
AK wrote:

i dont care. each to their own. hardpanned complete drumsets/bassplayer have been a standard in jazz recordings long time ago...let´s see what people think in 30 years of the rubbish we do at the moment :)
for me personally it´s not my thing and doesnt make sense panning a subbass. but i like recordings (non club music) which are a bit more creative or less standard with the positionig of sounds in the stereo image.
funny thing is there are pro mixing engineers who prefer two subwoofers (stereo) for their mixing...
I'm not making Jazz though, ( Old Jazz???? ) with the type of music I'm making - which I consider to be electronica ( as an umbrella term ) it just does my head in when low frequency sounds are not centralised, or at least the kick and bass. The main criticism for me is that the energy of the track is lost. No doubt I'd be more experimental if I were into more experimental music composition but there's a reason why club orientainted tracks do not have kick and bass being panned away to either side.

It's not that I'm into any of these 'unspoken' rules, far from it, I just think it's better to my ears and that's why ( with this type of music ) I wont be changing that any time soon. There's just no way on earth I'm agreeing with this anyway. :)
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

During a video interview for Future Music magazine Joris Voorn showed how he created the bassline for his track "Sweep the Floor", which I believe was a pretty popular tune around the time it was released.

He basically recorded a bassline from his bass guitar - he played it twice and panned each version hard left and hard right so that it created a wide stereo effect. He basically said in the interview that usually people wouldn't have a bass part in stereo, but he didn't care since pretty well all club systems are stereo nowadays (not sure if this is really true).
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Phurniture wrote:wouldn't have a bass part in stereo, but he didn't care since pretty well all club systems are stereo nowadays (not sure if this is really true).
"Most club systems are mono" is another good old bit of production rhetoric that in my experience often isn't true.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

simonb wrote:
Phurniture wrote:wouldn't have a bass part in stereo, but he didn't care since pretty well all club systems are stereo nowadays (not sure if this is really true).
"Most club systems are mono" is another good old bit of production rhetoric that in my experience often isn't true.

yes - most systems i have encountered are stereo.

but i still wouldnt dream of placing the bass weight of a tune anywhere other than bang down the middle. if a club system is stereo, some people in the room are going to get no bass if its panned. ( bass may be un-directional, but you'll still know about it if theres no bass coming out of the bin youre standing infront of)

if its going to vinyl, centering its an absolute necessity, unless you want an unplayable record.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »