elektron machinedrum + ableton sync

- ask away
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

eggnchips wrote:
simonb wrote:
gosh wrote: It takes a short while to get working properly (correct levels/routing etc) but once done save as a template and then away you go. If you have DAW and you have external gear that has it’s own sequencer and you want to integrate the two it’s probably the best piece of kit you can buy. Seriously.
I'll look into that. I have a Machinedrum and Ableton and the sync (in either direction) is so shite that I generally just get by without it.
Why is it so bad? I link up my Tr707 to Ableton without problem.
It if works for you great. But it never worked for me. I understand how DAW sync works, and which settings to change. And I've heard good / tight sync before. I could never get good sync from or into a DAW.

I think some people are just lucky and it works. I also think some people haven't really heard tight sync before and assume it's the best you can get. I assume you are in the former rather than the latter.
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

hydrogen wrote:
gosh wrote: You can route the MIDI clock on using MIDI throughs but the more you do this the more latency you will add further down the line. To this end I use a motu MIDI express xt. I got it cheap second hand it its not only a great 8x8 USB MIDI hub but also an extensive MIDI router/ patchbay. I've set it up do clock is equally distributed to everything so I incur no additional latency but I coped without for a long time!
sickness. thanks for sharing!

i'm not sure what machines you are running but i've also noticed my korg emx1 is delayed differently than the machinedrum... it would seem that you'd want one of these sync shift devices for that.
yep sync lock creates stable clock. Sync-shift shifts clock (but won't fix sloppy/unstable clock).
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

hydrogen wrote:
gosh wrote: You can route the MIDI clock on using MIDI throughs but the more you do this the more latency you will add further down the line. To this end I use a motu MIDI express xt. I got it cheap second hand it its not only a great 8x8 USB MIDI hub but also an extensive MIDI router/ patchbay. I've set it up do clock is equally distributed to everything so I incur no additional latency but I coped without for a long time!
sickness. thanks for sharing!

i'm not sure what machines you are running but i've also noticed my korg emx1 is delayed differently than the machinedrum... it would seem that you'd want one of these sync shift devices for that.
I have emx1 and MD and Live (my complete set up) and I'm not experiencing much of a problem after I messed with the delay sync settings in Live's preferences. I think the setting for my audio interface (Native Instruments AK1) was -.35sec
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: elektron machinedrum + ableton sync

Post by Barfunkel »

For those interested, Ableton just released a new beta version with an improved sync engine. Works as a slave only atm, but hopefully they'll program a better midi master sync version too.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165221
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: elektron machinedrum + ableton sync

Post by tsankip »

I can't get it synced when I'm using the MD as master + external bpm mode in Ableton. Synced perfectly the other way around, but I'd like to have the MD as master. I'd send the MD to the mixer and then let the mixer drive Ableton, but I fried the midi engine or midi display on my mixer with a bust extension cord and I don't know when I have time to take it to servicing.

Using that Turbo Midi thingy to connect the two btw.