Monitors..

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Most of us will be working in pretty small rooms and producing music with a lot of bass energy.
In which case broadband absorbtion is pretty essential.
arggh got to get back to work!
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

::BLM:: wrote:Yeah read that already. Just I was wondering if it makes that much difference. I'm already quite happy with my mixes and how they translate so the question really is there a need for this stuff when already im happy with what im doing. would money be better spent on a new synth etc..

I always see people banging on about getting the room perfect etc... but for me my priority has always been speakers and synths.
I would say if you're satisfied with your translation, you don't necessarily need absorbtion. I have a friend that doesn't have any room treatment and his mixes don't suffer from it. He understands his room acoustics very well and knows how to make his mixes translate without needing absorbtion. Should be noted that his room is probably 3 times the size of mine.

For me though, my room is very small. Probably 8ft tall x 10ft long x 6ft wide, so very small.

I did acoustic measurements (with REW software) before getting the traps and the response was dreadful. Huge low end spikes and dips. I'm talking like 20db or more difference in both directions. And the flutter in the high end was very noticeable.

For the first round I just bought two of the 244 traps and didn't notice much difference other than reduced flutter echo in the middle of the mix position. So I bought two more and again, didn't notice a whole lot of difference. The mids and highs were tamed but the low end was still all out of whack. In fact, maybe even worse!

The last purchase was the four tri-traps for the front corners and it made a huge difference. Even though my room is small, the difference between front and back is dramatic. In the back of the room it feels very live and noticeable flutter and bass nodes in the corners. In the front of the room it's almost dead. Very controlled and tight across the whole spectrum with no flutter at all.

The room is not 100% (never will be) but it's much better than before. Much much better. I am still not satisfied with my mixdowns but that's on me, not the room.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Something to think about also. If you're going to buy treatment, a couple pieces is probably not giong to be enough. It might make the acoustics worse. You will need to either go big or not buy anything. My opinion.

My total treatment cost was about $800US.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

This pic is maybe a year old but the trap locations remain the same.

Afroide
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Afroide »

If you've got the scratch, Event Opals will not disappoint :) GREAT low end on these and plenty of headroom... balanced sound at all levels :)

blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

About the acoustic treatment discussion going on... It's the best buy i've done. It made a big impact on the sonics, but my room was a square one so it was the worse scenario possible. I went from a bass lacking and reverberating room to a much more clear low end. Everything was DIY, i got all the information on gearslutz.com - i love that forum-, and I could order some wool from a family friend at good price. I think the total cost was 250-300 euros. I still have to do the rear treatment. I'll post pics later.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

did any of you guys doing treatment use anything like fuzz measure, to see what the treatment is doing?
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

I used Room EQ Wizard. I took many different measurements in every scenario and placement I could think of.