Monitors..

- ask away
Afroide
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Afroide »

tone-def wrote:it depends if you know your room modes. you will save yourself serious money if you go DIY but only if you understand room modes.
Totally false... Even if you don't have any knowledge of room modes, proper bass-trapping in the 4 corners and treatment of your early reflection points will yield a massive improvement over an untreated room.

There's no reason why you can't just put together 4 DIY superchunks and a couple of broadband panels covering your primary/secondary reflection points. I did just that, although I elected to purchase prefab pieces from GIK acoustics - $1500 turned a HORRIBLE room into one that is absolutely workable, looks pro, and far exceeds my mixing abilities, with very little effort or skill required to install. I have 0 knowledge of room modes, nor did Bryan Pape (GIK Lead Designer) seem to feel that any in-depth analysis was required to achieve a good end-result.

You can get crazy in-depth with room acoustics, but to imply that ignorance of room modes will prevent you from getting the benefit of some basic treatment is just plain false.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

you sure told me. i guess i'll just forget everything i learned at university because ignorant people are always right :roll:

the thing is it's not proper bass trapping and that SOS article even pointed that out, as did my lecturer. sure it can make improvements, but you can easily over do it and effect the wrong frequencies. that is why analysis is important.

i wouldn't buy anything from GIK if the lead designer doesn't know anything about room modes. thats probably why a lot of studios have the wrong treatment.
Afroide
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Afroide »

The guys at GIK most definitely know a pile about acoustics - my point is that you can get massive improvements in studio acoustics without an understanding of room modes. Don't take my comments out of context ;)

A proper understanding of the finer points of studio acoustics can, of course yield even better results, so you're not wrong. Your earlier comment just implied that it's an all-or-nothing kind of scenario. Anyway I'll shut up now...
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Afroide wrote:
tone-def wrote:it depends if you know your room modes. you will save yourself serious money if you go DIY but only if you understand room modes.
Totally false... Even if you don't have any knowledge of room modes, proper bass-trapping in the 4 corners and treatment of your early reflection points will yield a massive improvement over an untreated room.

There's no reason why you can't just put together 4 DIY superchunks and a couple of broadband panels covering your primary/secondary reflection points. I did just that, although I elected to purchase prefab pieces from GIK acoustics - $1500 turned a HORRIBLE room into one that is absolutely workable, looks pro, and far exceeds my mixing abilities, with very little effort or skill required to install. I have 0 knowledge of room modes, nor did Bryan Pape (GIK Lead Designer) seem to feel that any in-depth analysis was required to achieve a good end-result.

You can get crazy in-depth with room acoustics, but to imply that ignorance of room modes will prevent you from getting the benefit of some basic treatment is just plain false.
I agree. You don't need to know that much about room modes to traps the corner on your room and treat the first reflections points. This will only help you. Of course this is assuming you are working on a square or rectangular room.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Modal ringing is the easiest concept to grasp and GIK most certainly have a handle on that. However, tuned traps and diffusors, etc are way out of budget to almost anyone but a "real" studio.

As Afroide stated, a "regular" user will gain some benefit from proper broadband bass trapping without having an intitmate knowledge of acoustic science.

In fact, GIK have an education section on their website which will give anyone the basics.
phanoLT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by phanoLT »

whats better - YAMAHA HS80M or KRK RP8 ?
silverface
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by silverface »

PMC's are well worth at look as well. The TB2 and LB1's are both very honest and won't lead you up the garden path.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

phanoLT wrote:whats better - YAMAHA HS80M or KRK RP8 ?
yamaha are much better.