Monitors..

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

deccard wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:@ deccard: it's the solo's you're talking about right?

yes...and oh i forgot to mention they look soooo good :)
I've been looking at these and the bm6mk2 for some time now.
Wish I was rich... haha
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:
jessejames wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Anyone here treated their room with proper treatment? Everyone always talking about monitors, but how important is the room itself? I was looking at http://www.realtraps.com/
I have 8 broadband traps from GIK. 4 superchunk type traps for the front corners and 4 of their 244's (one on the window sill in front of me, one as a cloud above the mix position and two on the first reflection points on the sides).

Is it worth the money?
it depends if you know your room modes. you will save yourself serious money if you go DIY but only if you understand room modes.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

::BLM:: wrote:Anyone here treated their room with proper treatment? Everyone always talking about monitors, but how important is the room itself? I was looking at http://www.realtraps.com/
its at least as important as the monitor self, especially below ~500 hz. the more you hear are to the monitor the less important, but even in direct near field it's pretty noticeable.

the problem. to get a good room you have to make some serious efforts or just have luck and your room is good by accident.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I think it's definitely very important.
if your room is crap, it won't matter how good your monitors are.

my room was "ok" before I redid the whole studio.
then after years of living in an ugly room, I decided to finally redo it :
cork floor, new wallpaper + paint, soundproof windows, no more shelves stuffed with all kinds of crap.

This changed the acoustics in my room terribly.
"Stripping" the room meant almost no more absorption.
when a simple kick sounded like a djembe-hit, then you know you have a serious problem... :lol:

so I looked around a bit, and soon decided fibre glass wool panels were definitely better than foam.
And let's be honest : foam looks like crap 90% of the times.
Like the bad "decor" of a cheezy science fiction movie when you took mushrooms or something. :shock:
I didn't spent money on making the room look great to then just hang up crap looking panels on my walls.
And fibre glass wool panels are way more effective than foam, so that was an easy decision.

I ended up getting a primacoustic london room kit, and got 4 maxtraps.
All 4 are in my 2 corners in front of me.
The maxtraps are definitely the ones that make the most difference, although I do think the control panels are effective too.
I think you do need the tickest you can get though (rather obvious of course, but still).
Maxtraps are expensive, in fact 2 of those are already more expensive than the basic room kit. But I never regretted getting them.
My room sounds great now.

And just a small extra thought, if you can't upgrade your monitors but still want a better sound, get the recoil stabilizers.
I couldn't believe how much difference I heard from something that is a real basic (but well manufactured) product.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

deccard wrote:the focals have been the perfect choice for me so far. i came from adam a7 but bass was crap obviously and even worse is the coloring adam sound (of the cheap adams). mixes translated bad on other systems. at first i was impressed with them cause i did some productions on the adam p22 and thought adam is the solution soundwise but the a7 still didnt fit my requirements and the p22 are midfield speakers.
i needed bass till 40 hz without sub and a good honest speaker and a not so big cone (dont like 7" or 8" on my desktop)...
there arent many that can do that in this pricerange.
i havent found any negative reviews of customers on the net (like i had them but now i´m happy with xxx). problem was these speakers didnt get many reviews in mags. most magazines reviewed the focal twins. so i tested them for a month and yeah!
adam s1x or dynaudio bm6 would have been my alternative choices for testing.
my room is treated against flutter echos and a bit for bass. i have the primeaudio recoil so my desk doesnt vibrate much.
almost perfect now. :)

i got 2 packs of these
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_takustik_b ... m_grau.htm
to stop the echoes where i mix.
thx for the info !
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

techno made me do it
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah read that already. Just I was wondering if it makes that much difference. I'm already quite happy with my mixes and how they translate so the question really is there a need for this stuff when already im happy with what im doing. would money be better spent on a new synth etc..

I always see people banging on about getting the room perfect etc... but for me my priority has always been speakers and synths.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:Yeah read that already. Just I was wondering if it makes that much difference. I'm already quite happy with my mixes and how they translate so the question really is there a need for this stuff when already im happy with what im doing. would money be better spent on a new synth etc..

I always see people banging on about getting the room perfect etc... but for me my priority has always been speakers and synths.
nothing's necessary if you're happy with how things are and you don't have a problem.
so we can't really answer that question for you, can we ?
my priority has always been gear and not stuff like that, but when I had a problem after renewing, I had no choice but to look into it.
I'm very happy I did my room, but that's me over here.
we can't know how your room is over there.
maybe you have a problem you don't know about, but if you say you're happy with your mixes, and they translate well, then your room will more than likely not have any big issues, right ?
otherwise you'd have known by now, no ?

I just think the room aspect is way underestimated by many, if not too often forgotten at all.
It always makes a difference, but whether it will make a big difference will depend on your room.