Toronto not ready for minimal...

- open
Cribby
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Toronto not ready for minimal...

Post by Cribby »

So this past Saturday Mauro Picotto played a set, and once he started playing minimal the whole crowd went dead...they didn't have very good reactions and they looked dazed like they didn't know how to dance to it..Me and my good buddy were just going absolutely nuts to it. People around us were watching our movements as we grooved to the mellow beats. Honestly Picotto surprised me. He played some REALLY good minimal tracks, and he even used Cirez D - Teaser as filler which was pretty fucking sweet. Seeing the lack of support from the crowd really dissapointed me...It was the exact same thing that happened earlier in the year with Richie Hawtin. I kept hearing complaints like "This is way too slow...how can you dance to this sh!t?!"...I would just laugh and say "amateurs..." Alot of the crowd was filled with posers who were just waiting for Blank & Jones to go on...It makes me wonder...will Toronto ever be ready for the minimal scene?? I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I guess it's quality over quantity....
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i would never expect minimal from picotto... maybe the wrong crowd came, expecting banging techno or sht?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
RussC
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by RussC »

ive been to a party once there for mnml (mathew jonson) but it was put on by Wabi, which sorta remind me of a Paxahau type group,,, and i have to say the place was packed,, although yes mathew jonson is genre crossing in many respects, and it was an anniversary... nope your right, toronto is dead for minmal..
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Here is a good article on Techno in Vancouer.
http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=5948

EYEING THE CROWDS of hipsters at the New Forms Festival's recent series of late-night concerts (which featured performances by local heroes Jirku, Jonson, Warren, and Secret Mommy), one might have been forgiven for assuming that these left-field artists have earned a healthy local following.

Such, however, is not the case, as becomes apparent when speaking to the musicians themselves, all of whom--like so many of their peers in other genres--bemoan the lack of hometown support, none more vociferously than Konrad Black, known to his parents as Todd Shillington.

"I really don't give a sh!t any more about trying to champion a cause in this town," says the outspoken producer who once told an interviewer that his favourite place in Vancouver is the departures terminal at the airport. "I can't believe the amount of talent in this city, but people who are really on the cutting edge are not going to get recognized here. That's been going on forever."

Black's frustration is understandable, as it would be coming from any artist who's sold way more records and played more shows in Germany than he has at home. Much as his complaints mirror those of his technophilic peers, the producer is forging ahead, finalizing plans for a new label (Wagon Repair Records) with fellow B.C. boys Mathew Jonson, Jesse Fisk, and Graham Boothby.
Last edited by gillsans on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
Cribby
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cribby »

Yea it was totally the wrong crowd for it...but apparently his set that was very similar the night before in Montreal received great feedback. That doesn't surprise me since the people in the scene there are much more "genuine" :S
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

wouldn't expect minimal from mauro picotto.

but then...

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

This thread is irritating.
I hate crybaby threads.. they are a dime a dozen on any music board.

"City X has such great lineups, our local scene sucks"

or

"Music Style Y just won't catch on in City X"

boohoo

Me, personally.. I rather enjoy the occasional oasis in a barren wasteland. Makes the sip of water all the more enjoyable..

,g
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

I feel your pain, Toronto is quite lame when it comes to minimal, but again I saw Picotto was playing but wouldn't have thought him to play minimal so that event had no interest to me and flew right under the radar.

But Cheer up - in the next month or so we've got Dan Bell, Mistress Barbara whos all mnml now- Matthew Dear, Speedy J and a few others- tons of local talent too.