- ask away
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Re:

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Digital Fist wrote:
swarlied wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:To OP, check out this thread.

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=407348

It has links to a documentary about how music works... this episode is about rhythm.
great thankx!

That link seems dead. I'd really like to watch this. Do you have another one, please?
Hmmm, too bad. I just did a quick Google search of "How Music Works" in the Google video section and it came up with a number of videos for episodes in the series. I bet with a little bit of searching you can find what you are looking for.

Sometimes I think that the world would be a better place if all human knowledge and media was be accessible instantaneously on the web... but alas.. life is not so.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
Digital Fist wrote:
swarlied wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:To OP, check out this thread.

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=407348

It has links to a documentary about how music works... this episode is about rhythm.
great thankx!

That link seems dead. I'd really like to watch this. Do you have another one, please?
Hmmm, too bad. I just did a quick Google search of "How Music Works" in the Google video section and it came up with a number of videos for episodes in the series. I bet with a little bit of searching you can find what you are looking for.

Sometimes I think that the world would be a better place if all human knowledge and media was be accessible instantaneously on the web... but alas.. life is not so.
i think ive got the series recorded on my DVD hardrive. but i'm sure its on the web somewhere.
patrickmrd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Swing/groove and making tracks less rigid

Post by patrickmrd »

away with those boring swing templates,try to use delay,lfo,s and other weird modulation to get a swing in your beats.i almost never use swing temps.try different things it can work
mystic rain drops sound manipulation
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by NoAffiliation »

steevio wrote: yeah, i never even consider for a second whether something is 'right' or 'correct', infact i usually go out of my way to do things in a way they arent normally done, but if something isnt grooving, then it isnt grooving and thats all there is to it.
i think with minimal music, the individual elements need to work in their own right in some way when exposed on their own.
for me the best grooves are a combination of other more minimal grooves which work as they are but when combined are even better.
right on. it's either grooving or not that's it. i always bring new mixes around the girlfriends of my buddies, sometimes just out of laptop speakers. if they bop their head i know it's working. as confident as someone can be, you can never get the 3rd person perspective. at least before 11pm which is when i start drinking and that usually helps ;)

one effective thing i discovered some time ago is that quantizing is not as straight forward as people might think. watch what happens if you enable the triplet grid on a 4/4 pattern. the grid lines, fall at different places in time. the mathematical physics of meter will show you the 4/4 time signature is actually supposed to consist of three sets of triplets and not what the standard 4/4 grid is showing you.

those of you not using ableton that have the ability to adjust your PPQN (parts per quarter note) will notice that based on the various divisions available, will cause the actual notes to fall in a different place on the grid, even if not in triplet mode.

the cheaper mpc's had a 96ppqn and most people double timed them to get more resolution. so 192 ppqn. if you divide that into a quarter note you can work out where the 8th notes, 16ths will fall in time. Most sequencers default to 480 ppqn and you can see those numbers are not evenly divisible so the hard quantized grid is DIFFERENT and will sound different with a hard quantized pattern. the mpc 2500 and up have a 960 ppqn which does evenly divide to 192, where 480 doesn't divide evenly

i urge you guys to do your own tests to understand this. try taking a midi sequences that are the same 4/4 hard quantized at different PPQN settings and see if they null out. one 4/4 kick pattern is fine to test. it's also fun while doing the null test to adjust swing to see how it changes the amount of phase cancellation.

anyway, i strongly suggest you guys research this. the mpc forums are a great place to start. the point of this being you can get a groove the pushes and pulls with beats that are on a grid, just use a couple contrasting grids. this is actually what polyrythm is as opposed to polymeter which is what most people think of when they hear that term. but just using contrasting meters on top of each other wont work as well since the grid lines are still all the same
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NoAffiliation wrote:
steevio wrote: yeah, i never even consider for a second whether something is 'right' or 'correct', infact i usually go out of my way to do things in a way they arent normally done, but if something isnt grooving, then it isnt grooving and thats all there is to it.
i think with minimal music, the individual elements need to work in their own right in some way when exposed on their own.
for me the best grooves are a combination of other more minimal grooves which work as they are but when combined are even better.
right on. it's either grooving or not that's it. i always bring new mixes around the girlfriends of my buddies, sometimes just out of laptop speakers. if they bop their head i know it's working. as confident as someone can be, you can never get the 3rd person perspective. at least before 11pm which is when i start drinking and that usually helps ;)

one effective thing i discovered some time ago is that quantizing is not as straight forward as people might think. watch what happens if you enable the triplet grid on a 4/4 pattern. the grid lines, fall at different places in time. the mathematical physics of meter will show you the 4/4 time signature is actually supposed to consist of three sets of triplets and not what the standard 4/4 grid is showing you.

those of you not using ableton that have the ability to adjust your PPQN (parts per quarter note) will notice that based on the various divisions available, will cause the actual notes to fall in a different place on the grid, even if not in triplet mode.

the cheaper mpc's had a 96ppqn and most people double timed them to get more resolution. so 192 ppqn. if you divide that into a quarter note you can work out where the 8th notes, 16ths will fall in time. Most sequencers default to 480 ppqn and you can see those numbers are not evenly divisible so the hard quantized grid is DIFFERENT and will sound different with a hard quantized pattern. the mpc 2500 and up have a 960 ppqn which does evenly divide to 192, where 480 doesn't divide evenly

i urge you guys to do your own tests to understand this. try taking a midi sequences that are the same 4/4 hard quantized at different PPQN settings and see if they null out. one 4/4 kick pattern is fine to test. it's also fun while doing the null test to adjust swing to see how it changes the amount of phase cancellation.

anyway, i strongly suggest you guys research this. the mpc forums are a great place to start. the point of this being you can get a groove the pushes and pulls with beats that are on a grid, just use a couple contrasting grids. this is actually what polyrythm is as opposed to polymeter which is what most people think of when they hear that term. but just using contrasting meters on top of each other wont work as well since the grid lines are still all the same
i dont think you need to worry about polymeters not working, they do work, thats why they are a feature in music, you can still use polymeters without sticking rigidly to a grid, ive been using them all my musical life, and ive never ever stuck to a grid. i'm not sure that many of the guys on the forum stick to grids.
when i use polymeters i give each one their own groove. if you are using a 5 step pattern you can space the individual hits where you want, they dont have to fit a grid. if you try to add swing to a 5 step pattern it makes it more 4/4 like, because you are imparting a 4/4 regime onto a 5/8 pattern, so its better to have an assymetric swing that works with an odd numbered time signature, and the only way to do that is to experiment till it feels right.

a time signature only tells you howmany pulses there are, it doesnt tell you where to put them.

grids are just guide lines, if you adhere to them rigidly, you are not making your own grooves.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Swing/groove and making tracks less rigid

Post by NoAffiliation »

yikes, i may have been unclear

im completely agreeing with you. the purpose of my post was to show how the grid can actually change depending on the settings you use. meaning you can get "off the grid" while still being on the grid if that makes any sense. it's because the divisions of the PPQN relative to the tempo will define the grid. changing that setting changes the grid itself and where the notes fall in time. of course polymeter works, i was just pointing out that the grid itself is flexible which goes along with it being a rough guide if you were working with only one defined grid for everything. hope i didn't confuse anyone -urk