Managing CPU

- ask away
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Managing CPU

Post by Jesse_mtl »

Hey guys, just finished building a killer track i will post later this week. I would have finished it tonite but... my computer for some reason cant handle the cpu strain. i need your help!

i have a 3.2 ghz 1gb ram, 100Gb harddrive HP Pavillion zd8000 laptop... so hard drive speed is probly 4200rpm. Live is crashing when i playback 10 tracks of audio, with only 3 return tracks. NO effect devices on any tracks. Is this normal ?

I disabled some soundcard inputs and outputs to preserve CPU, I cleared my cache, I used RAM on some clips. Is there anyone who experienced this with a computer similar to mine, and if so, is there anything u can do to help me? I know theres information everywhere about this, but its everywhere, and i dont wanna hack my registry or do weird sh!t like that, it just doesnt seem normal for 10 tracks to be too much....

help would be much appreciated
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

If you've got Live 5, you can try freezing some of the tracks that you don't change very much. This can decrease the load quite a bit. Right-click on the track title/number, and choose Freeze...
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jesse_mtl »

brian always got the quick responses ;)

i froze 2 tracks... but then i realized why? cuz freezing only helps if u have devices in those tracks that require calculations. i made sure i applied all effects destructively to the audio in the tracks... then i got rid of all track devices, see wut i mean?

track count turns out to be 13 tracks. all audio. im interested in knowing if anyone with a laptop has gotten more tracks playing at the same time?
could be my harddrive...
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Hope this link is of good use for you:

www.musicxp.net

-Renze
El Duardo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by El Duardo »

Renze wrote:Hope this link is of good use for you:

www.musicxp.net

-Renze
yes very nice, Iam going to try this.
http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

doesn't help much renze...ableton still crashes if you tuned your OS.

in my case...i got a 15 channel track, but only one sample is fuckin up the cpu and when i mute it, everything goes normal. :?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by d-rokc »

excuse my ignorance but... 15 audio tracks? what the hell do you have in there an orchestra? :D or maybe you put every single hihat or click on a separate channel? just curious about the way you guys work.

in my case, when it comes to mixdown i would have 8 audio tracks the most. normally i would have 4 to 6 tracks (with bouced subgroups that is) - kick+sub bass group, rest of the drums group, a lead/bass, pads, + one or two soundFX groups. thats without counting the return channels for time based FX, but they never really go to a separate audio track, except if i bounced some reverb, but then its already in one of the mentioned groups :)

so, explain pls. and if that particular thread is not the place lets move it to a new topic, eh? cheers.
rock beyond believe
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

d-rokc wrote:excuse my ignorance but... 15 audio tracks?

yeah, what's wrong with that... do i need to be cool and only have 8?

it's for various samples, since i like to keep every sample on it's own track... rhythm base is only on two midi tracks.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.