"Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

- ask away
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

PsyTox wrote:maybe being the devil's advocate a bit here, but isn't the "rise" simplest to do after a major fallback in 2009? I mean, it's like with car sales: have gone up 10% last year! But they forget they lost 20% the year before, so in absolute numbers it might be not so much of a difference from the previous periods.

Still, I'm all for it, starting to buy vinyl again too actually. Mostly stuff you can't find digitally, and that's quite a big chunk even in 2011 :)
Still, a rise in the year before is still a rise, when sales are meant to be going further down the pan
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I love vinyl and always will. However, I have issues with purchasing vinyl now. There is only one record store in Pittsburgh and frankly the selection is slim and more disco/house/pop/hip-hop. We used to have 4, now there's one with selection that isn't that great.

The only other option is ordering online. That option blows. I like to buy records on the spot and take them home. Jus Ed played here and was selling his records for $5 a pop. I bought 4 or 5 cuts from him. It was awesome. I wish that's how it was for real.

So, for the most part I've moved on to cd's. I really prefer technics to cdj's but, paying $13 for a record that needs shipped is out of control. Especially when there is gear to buy and I remember buying vinyl for $8 a piece on average.

:?
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

I love records, I love to spend time in a record shop to speak with all the guys, I love being all excited while taking the sub going home, and holding on to them as it was part of my bodie, although i HATED when other djays say " oh, I just bought that on on beatport", and they play it, loop it, delay it blablabla...I love having nice jackets for my records, I like the smell of a record, I LOVE the smell of and old record...That's good news there, I can see I'm not the only one here :)

Edit : a record shop near my house in Paris is closing (another one...) the problem is that all the 25-35 aged are used to buying records, kids download. :(
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

XIII NRV wrote:I love records, I love to spend time in a record shop to speak with all the guys, I love being all excited while taking...
That's probably the part I miss the most about vinyl. It's about meeting up with like minds, talking music, etc. The record store used to be the center of it all.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:
XIII NRV wrote:I love records, I love to spend time in a record shop to speak with all the guys, I love being all excited while taking...
That's probably the part I miss the most about vinyl. It's about meeting up with like minds, talking music, etc. The record store used to be the center of it all.
Yeah. Think of all the music I would not even know about if it weren't for the record shop. I miss that a lot.

I shudder to imagine having only the online charts to have learned about music like most of the kids today do. That would be a horrible way to be schooled about tunage.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I bought 10 new records today. New to me anyways. They were from the second hand store. $.10 a pop. Not too bad (I donated $5.00, so it was $6.00 total).
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

coldfuture wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:
Yeah. Think of all the music I would not even know about if it weren't for the record shop. I miss that a lot.

I shudder to imagine having only the online charts to have learned about music like most of the kids today do. That would be a horrible way to be schooled about tunage.
Well, for many many people living in the countryside back in the early 90ties, this was the case, together with FM radioshows and going to parties. I remember reading the dj charts in the Frontpage magazine and stuff like that.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Any news of increasing vinyl sales is music to my ears! 8)
patrick bateman wrote:Well, for many many people living in the countryside back in the early 90ties, this was the case, together with FM radioshows and going to parties. I remember reading the dj charts in the Frontpage magazine and stuff like that.
Most of my vinyl purchases in the nineties were through the mail. I used 611, Satellite, Sonic Groove, etc. It was just like Beatport, except you had to wait for a few days for your stuff.
The downside of mail-order and also downloading is that the audio clip might be leaving out some seriously cheesy vocals. I don't appreciate those kind of suprises. :lol: