help and advice on a true analog synth

- ask away
underground utd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

help and advice on a true analog synth

Post by underground utd »

hi everyone,
I'm looking for some advice to help me buy my 1st true analog synth but first let me tell you what I know about making sounds and music. I've been djing for 15 years (not as a pro but as a strong hobby). I play techno, electro/house and trance, all with a dark-ish, acid, pumping edge. above all I'm a vinyl lover. As for the hardware I got a Korg esx1-sd wich I'm realy happy with, making a groove in 10min is kind of satisfying. Now, here's what I know about sound synthesis : not a lot, so when I decided to buy a simple synth, I bought a Korg monotron. This was to help me understand the basics of making sounds from scratch, and it did very well. So, I'm looking to go one up again and get a true analog synth with more features, so far here's a list of what caught my attention : DSI mopho keyboard (even though it seems more complicated to edit due to it's menu-sub-menu-asign-re-asign, way to program). Doepfler dark energy (no presets, just knobs to tweek). MFB microzwerg or megazwerg or kraftzwerg (again, just knobs). My price range is 400-600€ (500-700$). One last thing, there's another keyboard waving it's flag saying "look at me I'm easy to program" and that's the Roland gaia (wich I know is a v/a).
Fire away !!
Thanx
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

f tha gaia.. get a classic juno106. should be able to get one for $450 - $600.

if your looking for monosynth save up and get one with the most knobs. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Personally Id go for a Waldorf pulse as a first true analog (assuming you can get one off ebay), it is an amazing bass mono synth and has a lot of options for other styles of sound. The filters sound great and it is easy to program.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

If you stretch your budget slighty you might also consider the new Moog Slim Phatty. In about a week's time I should be able to tell you if it's worth it.

Speaking of the Waldorf Pulse, it is a super flexible real analog bass monster. I might just have one for sale.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

let me ask you this:
why do you want to get an analog synth?

i know this question might seem anti-analog, but i only ask this because it will make it easier for you to choose what you want (Mopho and dark energy for exemple are very very different).
underground utd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by underground utd »

thank you all for your answers, I haven't considered the Waldorf pulse but for what I read about it looks like a monster. As for the Moog, well, it's every man's dream... To answer Stomper, it's all about the bass ! It's a bit like if you ask a Dj if he prefers vinyl or cd, they both do the same thing but don't sound exactly the same.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

If its a bass synth you want, you wont regret buying a pulse, worth getting the plus version for the converter.

If midi isnt an issue, would have to suggest the roland sh101 too, its perfect for bass. The pulse lacks the hands on appeal but wins with its connectivity. Had both, getting both again. Cant comment on stuff ive never owned but I want a pro1 too. Heard good stuff about that although harder to find in good condition due to inferior build quality.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Phurniture wrote:If you stretch your budget slighty you might also consider the new Moog Slim Phatty. In about a week's time I should be able to tell you if it's worth it.
Dude I wanted a slim phatty real bad at one point. But, I just couldn't get past the fact that the cutoff and resonance shared the same knob. That's filtering 101 right there.