The EDM production learning process

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

The EDM production learning process

Post by N - Jay »

Hi guys,

I want to share my thoughts on the process of learning, creating en producing EDM.

It's freakin overwhelming I tell you. I never thought it could get this complex. I'm learning by doing and reading. Especially reading and gathering books, articles, tutorials, forums etc etc. But here's the real question, since there are so many different theories, methods etc I want to much I guess. I mean I'm working on my first track and I'm reading about some serious stuff about different types of compression (multiband/new-york/parallel/sidechain), eqing, mixing. I can't ask from myself to make it all work the first time. Sure I can make a simple track but then I know the drums aint fat, the bass collides with some elements, which elements should be sidechained and what not? All these questions.. it's hard to stay on the right path. The path I started on was a book about Reason and a book about producing dance music. These are my fundamentals, but I know there is more than this, I read stuff on this forum that these books don't tell about and I think, when is my track ready for the club, car, release everything. I've got samples with great kicks, drums. But I want to make them myself, so I start with layering, but they don't sound phat like the samples do. My snares don't cut it. My bassline is too electric/cheesy sounding. Some say it's all about the frequencies, some make great sounding tracks and don't care about the frequencies.

I'm using Reason 5, the reason for this is that its got all the stuff/instruments I need to make a track, so I can focus on learning these tools and maybe in the future gather plugins and ReWire into another DAW like Cubase.

Maybe you guys got any advice for beginners like me out there.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Dont give up on the archive of stuff thats in the Forums mate 8)

I've felt that way too & feel that way every now and then if I'm honest :lol:

My advice to you would be to split up all the things that you are trying to find out about & search in the forum. Theres some gold a advice there.

Its not as massive a task if you divide it into seperate catagories. Some people are wary of answering stuff cos they've already gone into great detail a number of times in the past. You can always resurrect the old thread if you have any questions. I found / find that its only after searching & searching + trying to figure out stuff, that you actually begin to realise what you should be trying to figure out. Doing stuff like that fills in the gaps between the bigger techniques. You certainly begin to realise the things that everything has in common.. and thats stuff you cant be told.

I'm really no expert. I've got better / am getting better. Things that have helped me is reading up on forums/watching Vids on YT, on how to EQ / How to Mix. I found that getting a little bit of that foundation right allowed me to build on the other techniques.
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

I know about common questions and RTFM shout out louds but that's not what I want with this thread. I've got this huge archive you say and of course youtube & books and stuff like that. It's more like, at which point in the production process can I say I've done everything there is and covered every basis to have a fundamentally correct track. And I just wanted to share my thoughts and worries with some other people, like for example you and give me a hint in the right direction like you just did.

That's all :)

And it's a very good advice indeed, chop up all the production chapters and do it and learn it piece by piece.

Thanks mate ;)
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Hey Man.. Hope I didnt come over like I was being smart - I wasnt & totally didnt intend to 8)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Just make sure you're having fun while you're making music man. When I started making music, I didn't surf forums or even know anyone that liked this type of music. I did have sh!t tons of fun though. Eventually, I had to learn how to eq a track, synthesize a sound, etc. That stuff took years though.

I can understand how it can be frustrating to have something not sound the way you want. We all deal with that. Reading forums and what not will help a lot, but experimenting with your music is the most fun part and where you'll learn the most.

For now, DO NOT worry about side-chaining or any of that sh!t. As far as eq'ing a track, don't try to eq something that doesn't need that. I know that sounds kinda open ended, but I don't know how else to write it. Personally, I don't use eq's too much unless I need to. I high pass filter all tracks except the kick and bass to remove unwanted low frequencies from certain channels. That way your synth line won't clash with your bass or kick. Preferably, those elements should be tuned to work together, but that's a topic for another day.

Also, if you have a thin or muddy sounding sounds to begin with, they're gonna sound shitty in your mix. You can compress them all you want, but it's not gonna help. The best way to have a track sound good is to start with quality sounds.

Search and read for Steevio's posts on this forum. Especially his advice on kicks and low end sounds. Some of it may above your head, so maybe bookmark it for the future. Dude drops knowledge.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

OP you're asking the right questions and obviously care about what you're doing.

it's hard work, but very rewarding when it comes togeether. try to stay inspired and keep some perspective. if you're in this deeply you're gonna feel low about things from time to time... does my music suck? am I doing the right thing? there aren't any answers to those questions.. you just gotta keep plodding forward and sometimes things line up and you feel happy with the progress. (in some ways, those are the most dangerous times for creativity though! when you are happy and content and don't have that drive to keep doing things)

+1 phase ghost's post and his last point. There are very very few people with his talent and experience sharing what they know.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

@ ICN: You are not being a smartass at all, you're very helpful.

@phaseGhost:

Thanks for the advice. I know about Steevio, he's dropping a lot of advice and usefil tips. For me its more the process of learning and beginning and the direction of where you should go.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

also. maybe you should have fewer goals in mind. You gotta aim high and always want to better yourself. But a lot of the beauty of making music is just in the moment of doing it. When you find a chord that strikes you deeply, or a rhythm that trips you out. You're not gonna get to a level that is polished and tight like established producers right away. But if you keep working you won't always feel like that, and before you know it your problem will be that the tracks you hear in clubs don't meet your high standards and all you friends will complain that you're not enjoying yourself enough. :)