How much is too much to pay for a new record

- open
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

thefunnel wrote:
tone-def wrote:i think all new records should be the same price. all these cunts who think their music is worth twice as much as everyone elses will end up killing vinyl. I'm not paying £14 for a new record just because it's moodymann. fck that! you greedy mother fucker!
this

I've skipped some records I'd like to own simply because I refuse to pay more than $13 (pre-shipping) for a record. And single-siders going for that are even more ridiculous.

Considering I'm in the States, and almost all of our great labels ship /press everything to Europe, it makes buying vinyl expensive. The last few Phonica and Juno orders I've made have cost an average of $14.50 for each record. Sucks, but there's still some killer releases coming out as vinyl exclusives.

I do like FXHE and UQ for doing mail order stuff for reasonable prices domestically. Jus-Ed prices most of his records $7-8 with nominal shipping. Omar is similar. I also check on discogs for producers like Disco Nihilist who charges just $7 and a couple bucks for shipping. Dude even shipped me doubles free of charge since I've been buying up all his releases and rinsing them consistently at my bigger events.

But yeah, fck Moody and Theo, frankly.
I should follow this up by saying that I do make exceptions to the $13/14 rule. It's just gotta be exceptional. Not enough of Theo or Moodymann's output convinces me of their high asking price.

But as one of you guys mentioned...it is the love and art of someone...people pay $5000 for sh!t-covered used socks attached to a pedestal...so why not $20 for a solid record? Makes more sense looking at it that way.

The only thing that sucks is when you pay big bucks for a record and it gets released digitally. Represses aren't such a big deal to me...it's the digital re-release that gets me. Prices PLUMMET then.

If/when I do vinyl releases (and I DO plan on it) I'll make them exclusive. Digital will be digital, vinyl will be vinyl. I think different styles and sounds fit the format. I make some traacks that I'm just dying to hear on a hot-pressed record...others I know would just fit the clean digital format better.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Just bringing up am old thread as Planet E have just put out some '69' releases and they are selling for £26.99 on Juno

This just seems like daylight robbery to me.
Last edited by Ciaran_ on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kgw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kgw »

thefunnel wrote:
tone-def wrote:i think all new records should be the same price. all these cunts who think their music is worth twice as much as everyone elses will end up killing vinyl. I'm not paying £14 for a new record just because it's moodymann. fck that! you greedy mother fucker!
this

I've skipped some records I'd like to own simply because I refuse to pay more than $13 (pre-shipping) for a record. And single-siders going for that are even more ridiculous.

Considering I'm in the States, and almost all of our great labels ship /press everything to Europe, it makes buying vinyl expensive. The last few Phonica and Juno orders I've made have cost an average of $14.50 for each record. Sucks, but there's still some killer releases coming out as vinyl exclusives.

I do like FXHE and UQ for doing mail order stuff for reasonable prices domestically. Jus-Ed prices most of his records $7-8 with nominal shipping. Omar is similar. I also check on discogs for producers like Disco Nihilist who charges just $7 and a couple bucks for shipping. Dude even shipped me doubles free of charge since I've been buying up all his releases and rinsing them consistently at my bigger events.

But yeah, fck Moody and Theo, frankly.
That's not even expensive. It works out at around £9-£10 per record for me to make an order from Juno/Phonica and I live in England.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

haha 30 euro for the 69 releases thats really bold.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

Those Planet E singles are a joke, £150 for the 5 piece LP is a bit silly to. However, £40 for the Virgo Four boxset is a steal.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: How much is too much to pay for a new record

Post by Themis »

you really want to bring that topic to life ha :D

i think arpiar wants to make some bucks with the hype around them, but especially the cezar release is way to weak for 13 euro in my opinion.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How much is too much to pay for a new record

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:you really want to bring that topic to life ha :D

YES ;) :lol: ;)