which would be the worst part of production for you?

- ask away
William Tech
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by William Tech »

I seem to have problems with giving my productions more variaty. I always come up with a concept, make a cool bassline, groove, drums, etc. Maybe some nice sounds. Then i start arranging, sort of finishing the track with mixing but when i listen to the track there is always something missing... But when i start adding some sounds or melodies or whatever it always sounds crap. Then i lose my interest in the song and the inspiration is lost :(

I have this for like 99 out of the 100 tracks i make :(

Like this track for instance... I liked it a lot when I started it, now I hate it 'cause I don't know how to finish it up or make it more attractive. Everything I do to it seems to make it even worse than it already is... :P
Last edited by William Tech on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

William Tech wrote:I seem to have problems with giving my productions more variaty.
I have this for like 99 out of the 100 tracks i make :(
same here. I make this loop, then I loop it over some time and bring in variations and what not. Especially for me, when it comes to minimal stuff, I try to be as subtle with changes as possible (I mean long variations in freq or things like that). But in the end I often find that the change is so subtle it's not even noticeable. :D
Seems to be very difficult to find the "right" solution for this.
Last edited by Robot Criminal on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sohrab »

mlexicon wrote:i hate the part when you start sequencing...then in the middle decide nothings working anymore...so u scrap a few sounds.....then it all sounds shitty....and theres parts missing....and all the glory is all gone....and fck it....straight to the bucket
man!what a coincidence,I face the very same thing a lot
kenada
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenada »

Sequencing Tips -

Try to do an exact replica of your favourite song's structure. Keep in mind it is not a copy of the song, but the structure. So you will be using your own original sounds and design in that respect.

For instance - track start with kick and bassline, bassline filters up into a hat, then hat progresses into a snare, adds 1 panning effect type sound, and then another panning back the other way.

and so on...

It gives you a focus point, and structure for you to work within. Give it a try it's always worked for me.

I could tell you that some of my best tracks started off this way, and then as you've got good structure to work around then you can change and ideas flow.

Basically do anything you can to get creative about transitions and bridges.
S Y N T H E T I K
COME DOWN
minimal tech - Dec '05
andy_matter
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andy_matter »

Dealing with rejection.
rebugz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rebugz »

kenada wrote:Sequencing Tips -

Try to do an exact replica of your favourite song's structure. Keep in mind it is not a copy of the song, but the structure. So you will be using your own original sounds and design in that respect.

For instance - track start with kick and bassline, bassline filters up into a hat, then hat progresses into a snare, adds 1 panning effect type sound, and then another panning back the other way.

and so on...

It gives you a focus point, and structure for you to work within. Give it a try it's always worked for me.

I could tell you that some of my best tracks started off this way, and then as you've got good structure to work around then you can change and ideas flow.

Nice point of view!!
:: rebugz - insane & precious ::
nightgrooves
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nightgrooves »

rebugz wrote:
kenada wrote:Sequencing Tips -

and so on...

Nice point of view!!
yes..indeed.. heard that one before, but it didn't work for me
:(
Texture
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Texture »

sequencing is the easiest part. Building a solid, original groove with depth and clarity is the main concern. Without that your screwed, you can have the most lushly sequenced 6 minutes of music ever, but if the music is weak ass then you may aswell chuck it in the bin.

The hardest thing for me is my own personal strive to produce the most concise track overall as possible, everything else is just ingredients to the pot. Ask any chef, they'l tell you its not chopping the carrots thats the hard part, its how there presented on the plate ;)
Klickhaus record 01 - Texture "Registry Check ep" - Original, remixes from Tim Xavier and Camea - Out now at http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/212 ... ht=texture

also at Beatport and other good record stores