- wax
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

SDF004 Franco Cangelli - My Electronic Soul ep

Post by dsat »

for those who weren't aware... got a new ep out... a while now

My Electronic Soul ep + Basic Soul Unit & James Kumo remixes

Mowar’s Franco Cangelli drops his deepest release to date for Self-Defence. Clearly inspired by the glory days of 90s house and techno, this four-tracker is a reminder of how soulful electronic music should sound.
The title track starts with crisp, jacking beats, but Cangelli quickly shows his musical side: over a squelchy, acidic bass gloriously melancholic melodies, hushed chords and the kind of seductive blips and yelps that featured heavily on classic Black Dog and B12 are also audible.
‚House for Brunch’ follows a similar direction: based again on subtle, jacking rhythms, Cangelli delivers the kind of angelic melodies and seductive chords that Kirk de Giorgio pioneered on early As One material. Cangelli also has the requisite skills to ensure that his musical outpurings are suited to the dance floor, with the jacking groove underpinned by intricate percussive elements.
Self-Defence have recruited two talented remixers to rework the title track: Basic Soul Unit has impressed with releases on Mule, Philpot and Creme and toughens up the title track. Focusing on Cangelli’s swirling chords, he underscores them with tough, bumping beats and firing percussion.
James Kumo also offers a more reduced take on ‚Soul’. In his case however, Kumo uses more jazzy chords and strips back the arrangement to focus on metallic rhythms, but does not lose the original’s deep feeling.
Don’t miss out on this uniquely soulful release!

clips here: http://soundcloud.com/franco-cangelli/m ... efence-rec

Laurent Garnier (F Comm)
“I really like this deep, Detroit-influenced EP a lot. Will play for sure.”
Surgeon (Dynamic Tension)
“Like the Basic Soul Unit remix best. “
Ed Karney (Mixmag)
“I’m feeling this release and will be reviewing it for the Feb/March issue of Mixmag.”
Fabrice Lig (Third Ear)
“Really nice release! The two original tracks are my favourites, top class deep techno tracks.”
Orlando Voorn (Nightvision)
“Pretty nice EP overall.”
Forward Strategy Group (Perc Trax)
“Cool EP, really enjoyed it, Favourite is House For Brunch.”
Aubrey (Mowar)
“Yeah liking this deep Detroit sound. Basic Soul Unit mix is the one for me.”
Marcel Heese (Tresor)
“Very nice stuff again and Basic Soul Unit as a remixer is a very good choice. Love his stuff. Full support!”

Chris Miller (Little White Earbuds)
“I just listened to this one and really loved the A1. Each track is nice but the A1 definitely stands out for me.”
Steve Mitzek (Little White Earbuds)
“Just heard the BSU remix of the tune and it sounded great. Definitely made available for potential review, starting up again in 2011.”

Angel Molina
"Always my support to mr. Franco’s stuff!"
Tomaz
"Quality stuff as usual from Franco. Love the original of MES, but the Basic Soul Unit remix takes it just that little further. Excellent!"
Dario Zenker
"I love the originals and the rmxes. will play."
Dave Mothersole
"really cool track. Thanks"
DJ TLR (Creme)
"nice remix will give it spin on the radio, thx"
Paul Woolford
"Quality as always, many thanks."
Simbad
"BSU remix smashed it, gonna drop it 2nite in dis warehouse party !!!! luv da slow techno-dub vibe and the reverb on den drums, neeeeeeeeat shhhhhhhhizzle !!!!"
Jörn Werner (Cafe Smart)
"I need to say something about this release. I'm impressed by the deepnes and vibe of the original track. Incredible work by Franco. Really cool sound, more of this please! The atmosphere spread by this track is great! BSU remix is also very fine. You put the open atmosphere into a rougher suit! Great sound. really like it. The kumo remix makes this release perfect for everytime and everywhere. Very deep and smooth. Great work guys."
Franck Roger
"Nice one from you once again. Will support it for sure! Keep them goin"
Lee Holman
"deep stuff as always from franco... leaning towards \"House for Brunch\" off this ep from the original mixes. two nice remixes also but the basic soul unit\'s is winning here! really quality material..."
Will O’Brien (Subscape)
"My Electronic Soul" evokes that classic early 90s European take on the Detroit sound such as A.R.T. - lovely stuff! I feel more of a Juan Atkins vibe from "House For Brunch" - I suppose this track is a bit more dancefloor friendly if that's of any relevance! Then really cool remixes from Basic Soul Unit and James Kumo - real late night deepness!"
Fabrice Lig
"Really like « House for Brunch » and James Kumo remix, other tracks too, a good e.p !"
Paul Mac (Sino / Intec / Theory / Stimulus)
"Nice package of tracks leaning a little towards the Basic Soul Unit mix the most though good stuff."