Anyone Experience with the ESI NEar 05 monitors?

- ask away
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Anyone Experience with the ESI NEar 05 monitors?

Post by kujoma »

Hi

does someone use this monitors or can tell me if they are useful. I know they are very low budget so before i waste money I'd like to have some comments from more experienced producers.

Specs:
- -Type : 2-Way Bookshelf
- - LF Driver : 5 inch Kevlar curved cone with high temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround.
- -HF Driver : 1 inch magnetically shield natural Silk Dome.
- - Frequency Response : 60Hz - 22kHz
- - Crossover Frequency : 3.2kHz
- - LF Amplifier Power : 40W
- -HF Amplifier Power : 30W
- -S/N Ratio : > 100dB below full output, 20kHz Bandwidth
- -Input Connectors : 1 x XLR Balanced Input Connector
- 1 x TRS Balanced/ Unbalanced Input Connector
- -Polarity : Positive signal at + input produce outward LF cone displacement
- - Input Impedance : 30k ohms balanced,15k ohms unbalanced
- - Input Sensitivity : 200 mV input produces full output with Volume control at maximum.
- - Protection : RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off
- transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse.
- -Indicator : Power ON/OFF indicator on rear panel
- -Power Requirements: Factory programmed for either 115V ~50/60Hz,
- 230V~50/60Hz or 100V~50/60Hz;
- Power via detachable 3 circuit line cord.
- -Cabinet: vinyl laminated MDF
- -Dimension : 250 mm(H) x 176 mm(W) x 200 mm(D)

I've heard they are realy good and can be compared to monitors up to 500 €.
Ryszard Blvck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ryszard Blvck »

i bought a set of these about a year ago in my old place.....i didnt and still dont have much experience with monitors so its pretty pointless me posting this comment....anyways, i kinda like em...theyre CHeAP!...im just waiting for someone with a professional opinion to tell me theyre the shitest sounding thing in the world before i get some new ones tho!
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

How about the bass? This is the only negativ aspect i can think of for this price. Caused by theyr small size the bass can't be that good I think? Any reviews on this monitors I've read where positive so they're not that shitty I think ;)
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by d-rokc »

what is their price so we can think of some alternatives?

as someone stated here recently, if you're looking for cheaper ones, you really cant go wrong with the alesis MK 1 or II. a little muddy on the super low end, but definitely wont mislead you in any way (no coloration at crossover point etc).

dont bother about the small size of a 5 inch woofer cone, its enough. i myself have event TR8 (with the 8inch woofer), and its definitely ace for dance music (super clear low end), but its not anywhere near as necessary. besides, a 5 inch woofer is easier on the neighbours ;)

a nearfiled monitor's cone would range from 5 to 6,5 inches. anything bigger would go in the category of 'main monitors' and is mostly used for mastering purposes and such, which dont mean you cant use em for say, pre-production (hello).

define your monitor needs also according to the room you plan to place em in. if its a smaller one, big monitors would be an overkill.
rock beyond believe
Ryszard Blvck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ryszard Blvck »

bass sounds ok...but again, ive not had much to compare them with, when i bought them i tried out a few others in store with a few BoC and bjork cds but i think the price was just too good to turn down.....i probably convinced myself they sounded the best because i was pretty skint at the time.
think i paid around 150-180 for them, really cant remember....defo no more than 180 tho.
naph
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by naph »

i have a couple of near05 xperience.
i'm not really able to give you a professional judge since these are the only one monitors i played on.
what can i say they sounds a lot clear, and also have some power on the basses. But it's really far from the real club atmosphere.. i think i'm gonna add an esi sw10k as subwoofer cause i feel i have to keep the monitors volume too high to get the pumping bassdrum feeling i like on basses.
so maybe it would be better for you to go at a shop with a couple of cd and try them out yourself (if you have the ability)
_ò/
naph
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by naph »

maybe i wasn't clear enough..
basses sounds good, really defined, but they are somewhat "light" .. so i think that if you want real pounding basses you should consider adding a subfoower or goin on another model.
Anyway lots of people told me they are very good for their cost..
_ò/
step
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by step »

very good product for home recording! excellent with the sub!