Why clubbing sucks in Denver Colorado

- open
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Why clubbing sucks in Denver Colorado

Post by Hutch »

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010 ... t_agai.php

Basically BETA (club) run by Beatport here has been blue balling the other main clubs and the owner threatened to remove labels from Beatport if artist play other clubs than BETA. We've lost a lot of people coming here as a result of this of this I am pretty sure. Going to be interesting how this pans out.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

wow...
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

There's a lot more backstory to it than that. When I brought Perc out here I was going to have him at Vinyl and Regas didn't want to do it. I've approached them about bringing other techno and minimal dj's out here a well and they didn't want any of it. They want the trance headliners and the easy pulls, they aren't trying for anything else. And they're trying to sue Beta over contracts every concert venue / promoter makes an artist sign, a non-compete agreement.

Brad ( owner of Beatport named in the suit ) is a friend and while I'm sure they do things at Beta to remain competitive I can't imagine they're worthy of a suit. DJ Rap? Really? No one in Denver cares about Rap.

Regas' clubs are sh!t anyways, he caters to the lowest common denominator and this is why his clubs are the only "dance music" clubs in town people get shot at.

Between myself and the other techno crews in town we've brought in or are bringing in the next month or two; Perc, Paco Osuna, Three, Kyle Gieger, Mikael Savostrand, Audio Injection, Drum Cell, Monoloc and the list goes on. Beatport nor Beta have blackballed these artists nor made threats to myself or the other promoters for competing with them. To the contrary, one of Beta's managers has posted for people to go to our parties on his Facebook since we all run until 6am and all the clubs have to shut down at 2AM. Beta and Beatport and their staff have been nothing but supportive of our events.

Denver isn't a bad city. It sucks Brad or Cathy won't let us book techno on the main floor besides the Roots parties and hear sh!t on their Funktion One, but they're hardly trying to squash all the other events in town.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Doesn't every club have a part in their contracts where it says that artist A can not perform in the same city/state/country for a certain period of time before and after his gig? I mean, this is so standard it is pretty strange that a dude with five clubs is offended by it.
The threath to remove labels from Beatport is ridiculous imho. I think Beatport needs all the big selling artists it can get in these difficult times.

Found something far more interesting on the same site that at least keeps us poor men safe at night: http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010 ... dators.php
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:Doesn't every club have a part in their contracts where it says that artist A can not perform in the same city/state/country for a certain period of time before and after his gig?
ahh, I think it's only the bigger clubs that have this.
BUT, most cities have stuff like this going on anyway behind the scenes. Very normal.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Occurring as we speak over Ultra contracts at the upcoming WMC.
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

PsyTox wrote: The threath to remove labels from Beatport is ridiculous imho. I think Beatport needs all the big selling artists it can get in these difficult times.
They're not doing that, it's a baseless accusation.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

mick finesse wrote:
PsyTox wrote: The threath to remove labels from Beatport is ridiculous imho. I think Beatport needs all the big selling artists it can get in these difficult times.
They're not doing that, it's a baseless accusation.
that's what I'm saying/thinking :) As if Beatport would jeopardize their name and fame for one club in one city. I think the regas dude has read one too many conspiracy novels.

Makes me curious about Beta though. Not that I'll hop on the first plane to Denver per se, but looking at the names that play(ed) there, seems like a nice place to check.