[LIMI014] Nebes - Ensampled EP

- wax
HERON
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HERON »

Interview with Nebes - by Martin Camphausen

Nebes, this is the first time you are interviewed. Are you nervous?

Definitely got some kind of positive butterflies in my stomach. Since I made my first steps in music on our
local radio - where besides playing tunes I was expected to do the chatty business as well - I think I survived
somehow. Of course, all my previous interviews were made in Serbia unlike this one, which is more
like the worldwide kind as well as being in the written form . A better way than my “not so presenter like”
voice on the radio.

Tell a bit more about yourself. What do you do, when you are not producing techno music?
Even when I am not in the studio producing, I am quite committed to music, there is always something to
do. I am a DJ in the first place, so I spend a lot of time on checking the new promos and selecting those
rare ones for the set – which could be quite a mission in this digital age, everything is so accessible. It is
hard to make a 2 hour set with “tunes that no one plays”. I also run and promote a couple of parties and
often help my mates and colleagues with their stuff - though, mainly with excessive eating and drinking –
but every little counts. And I study Civil Engineering, but I don’t think anyone is dying to hear about that one.

Since your first EP on Limikola (Fliction // LIMI003) you have always been faithful and didn’t release on another label…
Ever since I’ve been in touch with the big boss (Heron) for the very first time, I have had his full support,
which is very important for every new producer. Even today, when I make a new tune, there are few people
whose thoughts are very important to me and to whom I send my demos first. One of those is Limikola.
Of course, due to such a busy schedule it takes a little bit of time for the release to get processed and
released, but it is totally worth it, especially with this one since it is coming out on vinyl as well.

Many artists were signed and also famous producers were signed for remixes. What do you think of the journey Limikola made in this time?
Well in my case, it surely helps being with the label from day one. I have been following the progress and
the way the label evolved. I really like all the artists that have been released on the label so far as well as all
the new ones whose releases are in the pipeline. Music changes very quickly nowadays, and there is a
genuine need not to be swallowed by the trends, which makes the balance between the quality, unique,
and innovative sound very important. I think that people have recognized such qualities with Limikola, therefore
the cooperation between the artists and the remixers feels that natural and spontaneous.

It seems your music stayed Nebes-like from your last EP - some complaining basslines for example combined with higher notes for the freakyness. Is that the typical Nebes sound?
I’ve always been the biggest fan of a huge warm sound and driving bass lines. All my songs have developed
over longer time periods, from the basic idea, via different arrangements, to recorded live sessions.
What keeps them all together as my own style, if you like, are plenty of contrasts, but also just as much the
singularity and harmony of the flow, as well as the touch of darkness, emotion and even a bit of humor.

Why is the first track called “Ensampled”?
The idea came from a very good friend of mine who works on a big project at the archeological dig unearthing
and redesigning the old Roman mosaics by using the original remains of the stone samples. So
after a chat and a couple of beers I decided to try the similar process in the production. Considering that I
used old school samples instead of the stones, the name made itself real.

In the second track “Lick me” it would be great if it was endorsed by a steady repeated “yoyoyoyoyo” like in “Ensampled”…
Well, I couldn’t find any of the old Roman singers around.
Actually “Lick Me” is the song I am most satisfied with so far to be honest, with lots of melodies and harmonies
that I am not even sure how I came up with myself. It’s a tune with a whole story, dark and emotive.
A dedicated one.

What are the plans for your future, staying faithful for Limikola releases?
Of course, Limikola is always number one, although I have plans with a couple of other labels, too. At the
moment I am finishing the remix for Heron’s stunning Rufus tune (LIMI013) which will be released with another
remix by Heartthrob & Troy Pierce and a rework by Heron himself soon. And I am quite keen to hear
other remixes, especially by the producers I rate. If all comes out good I can retire.
I’d also like to go back to some of my old experiments with live musicians and friends and give them a bit
more of serious attention. Those were a combination of hardware and software and it requires dedication.
Besides all I wouldn’t mind passing an exam or two as well!

Nebes, many thanks for your time and I ensample you: “Lick me!”
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

awesome
HERON
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HERON »

Thank you Malle :)
HERON