Techno bass - Sandwell,Liebling,Ruskin,Detroit etc.

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

tone-def wrote:i know techno but i'm more attracted to the detroit side of it. stuff like Juan Atkins, Drexciya and Jeff Mills but i guess that's handbag music.

i just found those two tracks rhythmically boring and they didn't have anything else to make up for it. the point i'm trying to make is if your just going to make these percussion tracks you need some killer rhythms... better than what these tunes have.

it's all subjective anyway, i got into jazz and now i have a different perspective on techno.
Dood, honestly by your standard you can't really include Mills in there at all. His music is wildly monotone in some cases, cinematic in others, proving they can both exist and be techno.

So you woke up pissed off at the world and can't come up with a dialog of your own of any interest so you screw up this one?

Not sure where you are going with this. If you want to start a jazz thread I can contribute plenty there too, but as this is a thread about industrial techno I'll stop playing sixshooter on your hijack.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Ridley909
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ridley909 »

What I'd done before, is first you take off the attack of an 808 kick. Then you place it with the kick or where-ever you want for the desired sound or groove that you'd like. Fiddle around with the EQing and volume until you get the right sound that you wish to have, etc, etc, etc.

I've heard this also being called the "minimal bassline" trick. That is, if you change the notes on your sequencer so the 808 kick makes different tones, etc.

Try that too, might help. Might not! :)
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

steevio wrote:
when i first got into techno this kind of music was all i wanted to hear.

big dark warehouses full of people completely mashed going mental to deep dark tribal music, its a million light years away from shuffling around to some loungey house wiv a cocktail in yer hand.

it was the future, taking it to the limit, trancing out on the banging hypnotic groove in one big swirling mass, you just cant imagine how powerful that music was back in the day.

if you dont know techno, you just dont know techno.
The last bit = quote of the year. Fucking love seeing that passion expressed in a articulate way as its not easy to do. Techno and percussion generally is inherently wordless, primitive.

fck knows why anybody 'gets techno', they just do. It just bypasses lots of superficial layers of comprehension somehow. Its beneath everything.

Regis said in an interivew that he always wanted to create “giant slabs of music… forsaking any form of melody or traditional structure”.

Giant slabs of music. That kind of sums it up for me.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

coldfuture wrote:
tone-def wrote:i know techno but i'm more attracted to the detroit side of it. stuff like Juan Atkins, Drexciya and Jeff Mills but i guess that's handbag music.

i just found those two tracks rhythmically boring and they didn't have anything else to make up for it. the point i'm trying to make is if your just going to make these percussion tracks you need some killer rhythms... better than what these tunes have.

it's all subjective anyway, i got into jazz and now i have a different perspective on techno.
Dood, honestly by your standard you can't really include Mills in there at all. His music is wildly monotone in some cases, cinematic in others, proving they can both exist and be techno.

So you woke up pissed off at the world and can't come up with a dialog of your own of any interest so you screw up this one?

Not sure where you are going with this. If you want to start a jazz thread I can contribute plenty there too, but as this is a thread about industrial techno I'll stop playing sixshooter on your hijack.
forget i said anything, i can't seem to get my point across.
i think there's a really big difference between Mills and Dettmann. that difference is i can feel Mills music and it takes me somewhere i can't really describe, i get lost in the sound and it makes me move. but that Dettmann track just sends me to sleep.

i thought i might be able to learn something but it seems like i'm wasting my time here.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

The Dettmann tracks are heavy and are not for everyone..

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NXxWvnChs
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote: forget i said anything, i can't seem to get my point across.
i think there's a really big difference between Mills and Dettmann. that difference is i can feel Mills music and it takes me somewhere i can't really describe, i get lost in the sound and it makes me move. but that Dettmann track just sends me to sleep.
youre right there is a big difference between Mills and Dettmann, very different types of techno. i only listened to the first Ruskin clip, so i didnt realise we were even talking about Dettmann, the OP never mentioned Dettman in his original question.

i was defending the kind of sound Ruskin and many of the early British techno producers were making back in the early ninetees, which certainly wasnt driven by melody and harmony, but by percussive textures. i dont think 'industrial' is good way to describe it, its more primordial than that.

it has to be heard in the right environment.

hard techno definitely isnt for everyone.

i'm not sure theres a comparison here between what the early Detroit guys were doing back in the day, and that Ruskin track, which is typical of what came later, its second genration techno, (as is Mills) with different techniques, and new toys to play with.
Last edited by steevio on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

to be fair the ruskin remix isn't bad, i've warmed to it. it doesn't make the best home listening and i listened to the Dettmann track first.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lTIPZy ... re=related

Ya'll need to call that sleepy white people sh!t something else, because it ain't techno. CHUCK CHUCK BABY!