Techno bass - Sandwell,Liebling,Ruskin,Detroit etc.

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:my favorite definition or techno is "Kraftwerk and George Clinton stuck in a elevator". i don't hear or feel either of those influences.
Good after noon to you Mister Derrick May :lol:
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

tone-def wrote:my favorite definition or techno is "Kraftwerk and George Clinton stuck in a elevator". i don't hear or feel either of those influences.
Rubbish I must say.
I perceive it as learning the tried and tested ways of fitting the basic building blocks together.
Once this is perfected one can spend more time evolving what one knows confidently.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

eggnchips wrote:
Rubbish I must say.
I perceive it as learning the tried and tested ways of fitting the basic building blocks together.
Once this is perfected one can spend more time evolving what one knows confidently.
what about the basic building blocks of harmony and melody?
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

tone-def wrote:
eggnchips wrote:
Rubbish I must say.
Each to their own mate.
Why ruin a thread with pointless tittle tattle?
A bit of technical advice wouldn't go amiss.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

tone-def wrote:
eggnchips wrote:
Rubbish I must say.
¨

not everyone likes melodies and stuff
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

some wicked tips on here! not sure i understand some tho...

I had an 8 bar loop with most of the elements of a track going, I put a lowpass on the master, messed with the resonance to get it rumbling, then exported it as a audio file. I then used this as my big subby background bass...chose a new kick and eq'd the other elements to suit. Sounded quite good!
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

tone-def wrote: what about the basic building blocks of harmony and melody?
I don't see why having an industrial sound has to exclude melody and harmony? Many of the old downwards records have melodic arpeggios going on, as do Sandwell records, along with romantically strained chords and strings... are these not melodic content?

These come from post-punk, gothic, and industrial music that influences techno just as much as Kraftwerk, whether May likes it or not.

Jeff Mills was in an industrial band when he decided to join UR, and many of the UR guys come from the goth/industrial scene.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

coldfuture wrote:
tone-def wrote: what about the basic building blocks of harmony and melody?
I don't see why having an industrial sound has to exclude melody and harmony? Many of the old downwards records have melodic arpeggios going on, as do Sandwell records, along with romantically strained chords and strings... are these not melodic content?

These come from post-punk, gothic, and industrial music that influences techno just as much as Kraftwerk, whether May likes it or not.

Jeff Mills was in an industrial band when he decided to join UR, and many of the UR guys come from the goth/industrial scene.
i was referring more to the two tracks that were posted in this thread. i just don't get it and i don't see how it's anything like jeff mills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_42DIjB ... re=related