Techno bass - Sandwell,Liebling,Ruskin,Detroit etc.

- ask away
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

coldfuture wrote:Hey wow, this is a great thread.

I love all that industrial techno and this is one area I only recently discovered myself: the lack of a bassline in a lot of techno.

Yeah, also took me a long time to figure out that lots of basslines are really heavily processed reverb tails. But i still kind of fail in recreating it as i hear it on lots of records. If you turn up the volume really loud you here lots of movement in the bass region, and i dont seem to get it right yet... :x

Dusk wrote:
I like to apply heavy compression to the reverb send (or return it to your overall bass buss, if you use one) followed by another compressor sidechained to the kick itself, to ensure the kick always cuts through this cavernous low end "soup".

If it doesn't sound right yet, don't worry. I find the real key is to get that all set up, then spend time playing with the reverb size, density and pre-delay parameters to get it locked in a pleasing, energetic way with the kick drum.

With these settings, combined with the ducking from the kick triggering the sidechained compressor, you can achieve various kinds of sucking/pulling effect, as if a cleverly-programmed sub-bassline is at work, when really it isn't.

Oh, and I'd try this with a nice, rounded 909 kick drum first. You can't beat it!

But this sounds really good, gonna try it out - Thanks for that!
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=115CKi4CbjE

Could this be a sinewave?

I've also read using pitched toms. What you think?
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

jobbanaught wrote: If you turn up the volume really loud you here lots of movement in the bass region, and i dont seem to get it right yet... :x
Sorry to add more waffle! But this 'movement' is exactly what you can control by playing with the size, density and envelope (i.e. the pre-delay or reverse timings - as steevio says) of the reverb, in combination with the sidechaining.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

wow, absolutely new thing with reverb on kicks to make a bass! will try it. I never thought about this since reverb bad in most situations mixing wise at the low end.

beside of the reverb thing... I already like to use kicks with a long volume attack envelope (to get rid of the klick) since some time.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Again, this thread is badass. Reinstalling the console this week as its back from the shop. Can't wait to make some thumping percussive stuffz.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

sounds like you guys are taking techno back to the dark ages :|
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

tone-def wrote:sounds like you guys are taking techno back to the dark ages :|
IT HAS TO BE TAKEN BACK TO THE DARK (for ages)!!! 8)

If I heard this Dettmann mix on Wormhole rmxs vol. 1 I was jumping up & down like a kid I'm tellin'ya (imo, kind of the point of techno music to make you jump up and down lol)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

my favorite definition or techno is "Kraftwerk and George Clinton stuck in a elevator". i don't hear or feel either of those influences.