question about edits and efx in the current climate

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote: There have been a few projects made that cross boundaries of what music can be. The Flaming Lips releasead an album called Zaireeka, that came on 4 cds that were designed to be plaed together.
something like that is different, when i released my rogue patterns 2 x 12" album, i'd previously spent 4 months mixing all the tunes on dubplates so that i could find the best possible order of tracks on the two 12" so that the whole album could be played in a DJ mix, but not only that, so that it could be played in different ways. its was quite a puzzle.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote: There have been a few projects made that cross boundaries of what music can be. The Flaming Lips releasead an album called Zaireeka, that came on 4 cds that were designed to be plaed together.
something like that is different, when i released my rogue patterns 2 x 12" album, i'd previously spent 4 months mixing all the tunes on dubplates so that i could find the best possible order of tracks on the two 12" so that the whole album could be played in a DJ mix, but not only that, so that it could be played in different ways. its was quite a puzzle.
i think there is space with music for it to take many forms. I think the important thing is the content. But I think there are lots of ways to present it. Djing was an innovation when it was first being done.

The thing with those 2 projects, Zaireeka and the Harvestman machine, is that it changed the layers of how music is used. The method that the hypothetical baton is handed from artist to listener is different. They are new ways that music can be used at home. Obviously it's a different thing to djing, but I think there are similarities.

Obviously your method with Rogue Patterns is totally valid. And I salute you in every way for doing your own thing in the best possible way that you feel is possible.

I do think that it's possible to present electronic work in a way using computers that is different, and not just for people to put effects on for cheap thrills.

I'm not trying to argue with you here, or say that I know what will work or what won't. Just saying that los of things could be possible. I think in every case the content is important. Maybe it takes a couple of failed experiments to find something that works.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

weve probably drifted away from the original question.

its simple for me, i would never write music in a form which left gaps to be filled in by DJs using the latest technology.

ive got nothing against it, its just not for me.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

XIII NRV wrote:As I see it there are different point of views...to be honest, I'm an old shcool dj, records, normal analog mixer without effex, I just play with the Eq...I hate fx on dj sets, I think fxs are here to make the dj feel he is actually creating something new, and that he is "part of the track", when he's actually just doing plaggia...I hate that. I think it's up to the producer to create tense, using effex etc... It's as if a dj would re-master a track using compressors/Eqs while playing the track live !
even if I'm 100% digital dj and totally agree. I dislike the dj-I-create-on-the-fly-remix attitude, is just to show off and not about music. most of the time the so called live sets or digital djs just suck. but it's more the attitude, it's not the question vinyl vs digital. If you use effects very very carefull and not to show off (at breakts or ovious) it can be good. I have a track in mind which mix beautiful with a bit reverb on it over other tracks. I literally hate the traktor fx stuff it's too obvious. looping can be great if it make sense musically. there are some rare situations where it's great to loop a passage and mix another track over it.

I lost the fun a bit with djing because I hate the image of digital djs, I feel bad to dj digital because of this. yeah I'm kind of ashamed to be a digital dj because of this. but djing with vinyl just isn't my thing.

...via phone... sorry for spelling