vinyl vs laptop

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Daniel Logikal wrote:
Shadi Megallaa wrote:What comes out of the speakers is what matters.. i couldn't care less if the Dj is using a birds beak on a record ala the Flinstones.. 8)
How true that is. I'm using Rane Serrato now mixed in with traditional vinyl, & its the best thing since sliced bread for me. Its all about options. Live P.A., loop machines, hardware, software, bird's beaks, whatever.

Its the quality coming out of the speakers that matters. Not what is going on behind the decks.
So we could just have a pre-recorded set with Hawtin playing from the CD machine, as long as it's good, it doesn't matter that it's just a CD playing a pre-recorded set?

Is that what you mean? Doesn't it mean ANYTHING at all what's going on behind the decks?
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

no matter how many compressors you use with a laptop. vinyl eats you alive :twisted:
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

it's simply a matter of sound quality. i haven't heard any digital source being able to reproduce the sound of vinyl yet, and that's it. you can't have the bass or the tops sounding the same depth and crisp as on the vinyl, it's physically impossible.

but hey, let me know when somebody invents a device that does and i'll be the first one to change my bag of vinyl to a laptop, it's fucking killing my back!
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

zentex wrote:it's simply a matter of sound quality. i haven't heard any digital source being able to reproduce the sound of vinyl yet, and that's it. you can't have the bass or the tops sounding the same depth and crisp as on the vinyl, it's physically impossible.
whats physically impossible is for vinyl to have much over 16k or under 35 or so. Virtually everyone makes music using digital devices.
freeeeeee
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Thst's very true about a lot of the records being produced with digital technology.

To several thousand people over a big PA - the sound difference is undetectable anyway.

A point about DJ's playing whole MP3's thru ableton/whatever.

I don't see why I should be ashamed for doing this at all - I've DJ'd with vinyl for over 10 years, I got to the point using 3 decks where it became unsatisfying that I still couldn't do exactly what I wanted to hear - despite being technically competent.

It became a natural progression for me to chop up loops and perform using hardware samplers to work the loops from the tracks to layer them up and effect them with exactly the degree of control I wanted without having to worry about jumping records or concentrating on my mixing rather than what was coming out of the speakers in terms of making people dance etc. When Ableton came along - again - this was a natural progression for me.

I still use vinyl from time to time, mostly to preserve my equipment for studio use, but when I really want to blow people away - I use all the tools I can - options are always good I think - so a hybrid setup does it for me.

Playing full MP3's is no crime - it's all about the way you use them.

And I'll back that up with an example :

http://www.avionixrecords.com/index.php ... Itemid=127
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

The future of Djing is gonna be more complex then it was before. I guess. It's a question how it's accepted by the crowd. But if they profit from it why should they not love it?
entropy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by entropy »

I have nothing against laptop djing, but vinyl is my choice... 'cause i'll never be able to play a whole set with laptop, it's just no fun for me, at least not as fun as decks...
I see a certain ''sentimental value'' in vinyl, and i'll never be able to leave them... Because, there's no better feeling for me than when holding a 12" in my hands, and spinning it on the decks, scratching, playin' with the faders, etc....
And that's the main reason why i'm more for vinyl: the ''physical'' sensation which you get with vinyl and can't have with laptops...
I say again, i've got nothin special against FS, or any laptop based programme, but it's just that i prefer vinyl much more...
I hope you understod what i said... ;)
"So the kids take a pill to feel the funk and the DJ takes a pill to feel the funk. I don't take a pill to feel the funk." (Derrick May)
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

Der geile Ami wrote:
zentex wrote:it's simply a matter of sound quality. i haven't heard any digital source being able to reproduce the sound of vinyl yet, and that's it. you can't have the bass or the tops sounding the same depth and crisp as on the vinyl, it's physically impossible.
whats physically impossible is for vinyl to have much over 16k or under 35 or so. Virtually everyone makes music using digital devices.
well that's exactly my point. as the vinyl is cut, those frequencies are left out, and that's the charachteristics i love in the sound of vinyl.