i want to integrate more hardware into my setup

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

::BLM:: wrote:
tone-def wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:So the Zed 16 only has 16 channels and now you put me off getting it. I have 1500 to spend.. What are other old ones that I might not of heard of?
it's 16 mono channels. how many do you use?

mixing OTB isn't cheap.
It's quite possible that I'll use more. Once you break down the drums, bass, synths, effects etc... there isnt a lot left to play with.
I thought that too, but once you start mixing with the zed the sound and separation is so great, and the EQ's so powerful that I stopped splitting as many things up.

I mean I hook up a Machinedrum, a Monomachine, my 303, my Virus TI, my MonoEvolver, my MPC, a TC M350 reverb unit, a space echo emulation pedal, and another delay pedal up all in various combinations... I think this is more than enough to make a shitload of music properly.

I think its working ITB that gives people the illusion that every single track needs to be routed 12 times and affected by so much. Hardware and a mixer doesnt need anything to beef up the sound, it IS the sound.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

theres nothing wrong with that approach, but it doesnt sound like youve got any choice with the amount of gear youve got, and the size of your desk.

personally i always need seperate channels for all my drum sounds, my various outputs on the synths etc.
its just about control, and fine tuning.

i dont think its a spill over from ITB mixing, because that was copied from analogue mixing in the first place. if you go to any recording studio you'll find the engineer seperating everything as much as he can.
its just very basic recording technique, the way its always been done.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:theres nothing wrong with that approach, but it doesnt sound like youve got any choice with the amount of gear youve got, and the size of your desk.

personally i always need seperate channels for all my drum sounds, my various outputs on the synths etc.
its just about control, and fine tuning.

i dont think its a spill over from ITB mixing, because that was copied from analogue mixing in the first place. if you go to any recording studio you'll find the engineer seperating everything as much as he can.
its just very basic recording technique, the way its always been done.
Yeah, you are probably right, but I am saying that I don't feel it has hindered me creatively at all. Most of the Beatles stuff was recorded with 4 tracks and then eventually 8 tracks.

I'd love to have a bigger desk, but I'd rather have a 16 channel desk than none at all. I can do almost everything I want to do with perhaps 3-4 pieces of gear at any one time.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

coldfuture wrote:
I'd love to have a bigger desk, but I'd rather have a 16 channel desk than none at all. I can do almost everything I want to do with perhaps 3-4 pieces of gear at any one time.
absolutely mate.
especially with minimal music.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Is it the Boss Space Echo pedal that you have? Any good? I was thinking of picking one up.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

::BLM:: wrote:Is it the Boss Space Echo pedal that you have? Any good? I was thinking of picking one up.
Yeah thats the one. Its not a real space echo by any means, tho it does share some of the functional charm of the original with the clipping that happens when you overload it. That being said, it sounds awesome in its own right and is totally dub worthy. It has become a completely necessary part of my productions and I even take it out DJing quite often.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: i want to integrate more hardware into my setup

Post by isaaclevy »

following this.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re:

Post by hydrogen »

coldfuture wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Is it the Boss Space Echo pedal that you have? Any good? I was thinking of picking one up.
Yeah thats the one. Its not a real space echo by any means, tho it does share some of the functional charm of the original with the clipping that happens when you overload it. That being said, it sounds awesome in its own right and is totally dub worthy. It has become a completely necessary part of my productions and I even take it out DJing quite often.
The digital space echo has nothing on the Strymon El Capistan... I have both and the strymon just sounds way better and has more features.

------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest