i want to integrate more hardware into my setup

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

So the Zed 16 only has 16 channels and now you put me off getting it. I have 1500 to spend.. What are other old ones that I might not of heard of?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i don't want to say that timelines and instant recall are 100% bad always for everyperson.

I just think there is a danger with stuff like that. For me it's like a bad addictive drug. I got stuck for 1 year in a remix. I was so far into it that by the end i didn't even notice this silly high frequency noise over the whole track. And the track kind of sucked.

Keeping things in the moment and only using small timelines like sequencers, as opposed to an eagle eye over whole tracks, for me has been a real breath of fresh air.

But maybe there's a way to balance it out, like not looking at the timeline, but using the total recall to make a couple of very minor adjustments to a mixdown. Maybe this is a good thing. I don't think it's necessary to totally reject timeline technology. You can get good results from a little multitracking. But especially with techno it's dangerous business to go too far down the rabbit hole.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:i believe you can tell the difference between stuff which has been laboured over with too much attention to detail and raw, emotive, in the moment music.
Yep, it's totally 100% significant.

A bit OT. But I think it shifts your own participation in the music a lot, when you are more in the moment. It's a much more fluid, responsive and in some ways less involved process. You don't have time to plan ahead too much. You are reacting to the music, and you have to listen to it and pay attention to every detail in case you miss something.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:So the Zed 16 only has 16 channels and now you put me off getting it. I have 1500 to spend.. What are other old ones that I might not of heard of?
it's 16 mono channels. how many do you use?

mixing OTB isn't cheap.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

im, really happy with my md, 1604 and alesis compressor at the moment

2 aux sends from the desk going into each channel of the compressor, one jack half into the insert of my kickdrumchannel.. the other end split (in the patchbay) into the sidechain ports of each comp channel...techno baby :)
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

tone-def wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:So the Zed 16 only has 16 channels and now you put me off getting it. I have 1500 to spend.. What are other old ones that I might not of heard of?
it's 16 mono channels. how many do you use?

mixing OTB isn't cheap.
It's quite possible that I'll use more. Once you break down the drums, bass, synths, effects etc... there isnt a lot left to play with.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TL-AUDIO-M1-F-12- ... 2099849889

this! :shock:
less channel / more awesome
jesus if I had teh monneyz... but I guess the price will go way up from this and local pick-up only...

edit: ok it's not very old anyway...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I have heard bad things about TL Audio.