Working with an engineer

- open
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Working with an engineer

Post by wax works »

I knwo this topic comes up a lot and some people get criticised for it, but I currently don't have what is required to make music, and I don't think I will be making music anytime soon due to £££.

Is working with an engineer basically paying to make music in their studio with professional equipment and receiving expert advice and direction in order to get the end result you want?

Does anyone here do this or offer this?

Or is it for people who know how to create music or have experience of making music previously and just want to use a better studio?
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

I know of a few people who all use the same engineer. A couple of them have little or no experience of making music and just go into the studio with an idea of the sound they want and they get the engineer to help them achieve this.

Others go in with tracks they've written themselves and are just looking to get a more pro sound, beefing it up in places etc.

I'm hugely against the first approach though and i wouldn't expect to get any respect from your peers. That doesn't matter to some people though
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

mattburns wrote:I know of a few people who all use the same engineer. A couple of them have little or no experience of making music and just go into the studio with an idea of the sound they want and they get the engineer to help them achieve this.

Others go in with tracks they've written themselves and are just looking to get a more pro sound, beefing it up in places etc.

I'm hugely against the first approach though and i wouldn't expect to get any respect from your peers. That doesn't matter to some people though
Why are you agaisnt it?

The cost of getting together a decent set up at home, together with buying records and living a normal life makes it a very hard target to reach.

Why should someone get less respect because they can't use a computer programme?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

10 pages here we come...
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

::BLM:: wrote:10 pages here we come...
It passes the day at the least.
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

iainkerr7 wrote:
mattburns wrote:I know of a few people who all use the same engineer. A couple of them have little or no experience of making music and just go into the studio with an idea of the sound they want and they get the engineer to help them achieve this.

Why are you agaisnt it?

The cost of getting together a decent set up at home, together with buying records and living a normal life makes it a very hard target to reach.

Why should someone get less respect because they can't use a computer programme?
Someone link up the RBMA Theo Parrish interview. You dont need a state of the art studio to make music
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

I agree completely, but surely there are benefits to learning in one?

Theo Parrish also says you should use vinyl btw.
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

But will you learn that much if someone else is doing it for you? Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Too much of this "quick fix" mentality about.

And I'm against it because it stifles originality.
Upcoming Gigs