advice for club opening

- open
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

advice for club opening

Post by dav.id »

I'm thinking seriously to open a club.

I live in a wonderful countryside, 800 km from the big city.
There is only one thing here missing.

A club with electronic music for dancers and music lovers.

I think people here love dancing and love music but there's not so much quality in bars around. In fact, there's a commercial music culture and a vacuum of house music.

I think a club should be an interesting venue.
What is your opinion? Which are the common error for new clubs? Which are the great things which you appreciate?

Thanks.
tabula rasa
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i think about the same thing myself

one big problem is to find a good venue, but i bet you dont have this problem in america (if you dont live in manhatten or something :D )

and you want to invest in a good audio system and a good room preparation for this system.

cause nothing is worse than a club were you can only hear the baseline and nothing else
Last edited by Themis on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

common mistakes:

"let's save money on sound, no one will notice".

"let's put up lots of mirrors! And dancers! And videowalls!"

"we should book Villalobos, Luciano or Loco Dice every week!"

"The opening was packed, so we are on our way to stardom"

"sh!t, i forgot to pay off the major".

In other words: make sure the sound is decent and the music good, and make sure you have a long term vision and don't expect to get rich rightaway, but you will take the time to let things grow (and you have budgetted that too). Don't forget, it's always easier to work with local dj's and other promotors, fees are cheaper and in the long run you will have a faithful / devoted visitor base. Which is more valuable in the long term than the occasional visitors coming to hear the big names.

Best of luck with the club man, it's a hard business but beautiful if it works out.

PS: don't forget it's a business first and foremost, so be professional and passionate and music freak all in one :)
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

Themis wrote: and you want to invest in a good audio system and a good room preparation for this system.

cause nothing is worse than a club were you can only hear the baseline and nothing else
PsyTox wrote: Don't forget, it's always easier to work with local dj's and other promotors, fees are cheaper and in the long run you will have a faithful / devoted visitor base. Which is more valuable in the long term than the occasional visitors coming to hear the big names.

PS: don't forget it's a business first and foremost, so be professional and passionate and music freak all in one :)
They are priorities in my vision.
tabula rasa
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Good luck! Would love to do the same
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

I'd start small and test the waters. Find said venue and start something on a Friday and Saturday. Bring someone out you like and see if people attend and let someone do another night and see if that works out. If both nights are a sucess than roll with it. If you lose out than Oh well.

Just don't be like Beatport here in Denver and create a forward thinking club than a year later you are booking Pauly D and Armin Van Burren just to get people to show up to make money while blueballing any respectable techno talent.

A club is a huge commitment. I know persoanally I avoid clubs unless they have an open air and/or my friends are playing. Ask yourself. Are you committed every weekend to make sure your place is making $$? Will you sell out?
russ13
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by russ13 »

A great thing to do would be to conduct a survey or somewhat a feasibility study for the bar that you want. Try to see if the people near the place are interested in a bar. If not, you can still continue. However, you have to put up a bar that is unique to get the customers which are 800 kms away. Something not offered by the bars in the city is the only way to get them.
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

make it multi functional.

lunch during the day, dinner/bar at the begin of the evening
and party at night.