loop etiquitte

- ask away
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

loop etiquitte

Post by konzee »

I am rather new at production (hitting a year some time after christmas)

Since day 1 I've been agianst loops and all that jazz. but the more and more I listen to various artists percussion (bongos, certain fills) it seems as though they use loops and theres no real way to achieve that sound with out them.

basically what I'm asking, in this type of music (I'm specifically a house guy) are the use of loops common?

getting a basic bongo loop, side chaining the hell out of it and compressing it to your own sound = acceptable?
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

set your own rules man, and then don't care about them.

Think of it this way, every loop has its creator. Try emulating instead of just copy/paste+whatever effects that makes you sleep at night
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: loop etiquitte

Post by AK »

konzee wrote:
Since day 1 I've been agianst loops and all that jazz. but the more and more I listen to various artists percussion (bongos, certain fills) it seems as though they use loops and theres no real way to achieve that sound with out them.
Why isn't there any way to achieve 'that sound' without them? Certain things are not going to be as authentic programmed, ie: a conga/bongo loop or an acoustic drum fill - basically anything that isn't electronic.

But aside from that, any loops that are produced with electronic drum sounds and efx are perfectly recreatable, and it would be an advantage to practise at getting good at that. You can still go a long way to making programmed drums more realistic too. It does take work though.

My own view on this, is that I make electronic music, and I like it to sound electronic. I'm not trying to make electronic music sound like acoustic music as that defeats the purpose of what I'm doing. But that's only my own view, lots of people like to incorporate acoustic drums into electronic music too and of course, the use of sampling/samples would usually come into play purely for the authentic value and realism.

Don't forget that live conga/bongo loops and drum fills etc, can easily broken down into their individual hits ( like Recycle does ) and can be given new grooves/timing/pitching and can also be totally re-sequenced. There's so much you can do these days with a live loop that takes it miles away from its original form that worrying about using them or not shouldn't come into play. Creativity is the key here. But I would try to avoid just dragging loops onto the arrange page to jigsaw an arrangement.
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by konzee »

Thank you very much, I am taking both responses into consideration, I've yet to chop up a loop and re use the samples, I'm going to try that.

thank you guys!
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

But loops aren't a bad thing to have, since you can slice oneshots if you find a good sound or take a new channel, put in a loop and mangle it with fx and toy around if you're stuck need some new ideas/inspiration.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't know what you mean by "theres no real way to achieve that sound with out them". how do you think they were made in the first place? do you think god handed these loops down from heaven or do you think a musician made them?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

common to use loops? maybe.
are you satisfied with your track when using loops? no? dont use them. if you do, use them.

personally, i find using loops as they are very limiting. if you want to cut the hi hats, you cant. if you want only the percussions, you cant.
when it comes to real percussion, i find that it too time consuming to program them to sound like a real player and i was never able to replicate anything similer. so chopping parts from a loop played by a real player can give better result.
but most house tracks use 2-3 samples in a loop. add a bit of delay (not obvious that there is delay, but it will be obvious to you if you cut the delay out).
the pumping effect is also crucial to that genre.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

common to use loops? maybe.
are you satisfied with your track when using loops? no? dont use them. if you do, use them.

personally, i find using loops as they are very limiting. if you want to cut the hi hats, you cant. if you want only the percussions, you cant.
when it comes to real percussion, i find that it too time consuming to program them to sound like a real player and i was never able to replicate anything similer. so chopping parts from a loop played by a real player can give better result.
but most house tracks use 2-3 samples in a loop. add a bit of delay (not obvious that there is delay, but it will be obvious to you if you cut the delay out).
the pumping effect is also crucial to that genre.