golden ratio>fibonacci sequence...

- open
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

golden ratio>fibonacci sequence...

Post by plaster »

example of the fibonacci sequence in music click to hear!

has anyone managed to produce a piece of music thru the golden ratio? i know that alot of artists used the sequence in order to make compositions...it's well known that mozart used it for his pieces, so did other famous compositors. um, the reason i got into it was because of boards of canada and all of the stuff they used to make their music. not just the golden ratio, but complex math equations to generate music. so i'm guessing minimal would be a hell lot of fun to make thru some equations...:P

an example thru the words which we actually call a rhyme:

Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world, so high
Like a diamond in the sky

Lining up the Rabbits
If we return to Fibonacci's original problem - about the rabbits (see the Fibonacci home page if you want to remind yourself) then we start with a single New pair of rabbits in the field. Call this pair N for "new".

Month 0:
N

Next month, the pair become Mature, denoted by "M".

Month 0: 1:
N M

The following month, the M becomes "MN" since they have produced a new pair (and the original pair also survives).

Month 0: 1: 2:
N M M
N

The M of month 2 become MN again and the N of month 2 has become M, so month 3 is: "MNM"

Month 0: 1: 2: 3:
N - M - M - M
\ \ N
N - M

The next month it is "MNMMN".

The general rule is

replacing every M in one month by MN in the next and similarly replace every N by M.

Hence MNM goes to MN M MN .

We have now got a collection of sequences of M's and N's which begins: rabbit family tree

0: N =N

1: M =M

2: M N =MN

3: M N M =MNM

4: M N M M N =MNMMN

5: MNM MN MNM =MNMMNMNM

# If you measure a credit card, you'll find it is a perfect golden rectangle.
# The golden rectangle icon of National Geographic also seems to be a golden-section rectangle too.
# John Harrison MA has found a golden rectangle in the shape of a Kit-Kat chocolate wafer (the larger 4 finger bar).
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

some years ago trancebreakspop guy BT did a breaks track called fibonacci sequence.
http://www.discogs.com/release/17450

dunno, i think strictly producing by numbers takes the feeling out of the music
freeeeeee
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

yeah, it kind of does, but playing music with your fingers still generate a sequence of numbers which are exactly the same if you took a generated sequence. kind of close.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

its a conscious effort vs feeling thing. sure, math will explain everythign you do, but do you count while you dance or fck?
freeeeeee
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Der geile Ami wrote:its a conscious effort vs feeling thing. sure, math will explain everythign you do, but do you count while you dance or fck?

no i don't, but dancing or fucking isn't tied to any mean of making music. or is it?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I'v actually tried this before.
I'v come to the conclusion that it's just not funky though.
It's probably better to use it as a more abstract theory in music rather than a literal one to create a more swirling/ infinite feel to a track.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Now heres an intresting topic..... I think it would be quite intresting to give it a try and make a tune thru the golden ratio, but like Torque mentioned, it would probably lose that element of funk... would be intresting to hear what you get tho... but there is also something intresting in a track made based on mathematic equations.. I honestly would have no idea where to feckin start.. but would be fun to do...
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

One wouldn't neccessarily need to be exact when making music to Phi.

How shall I word this.

Ok, take the feather pattern on a Peacock's tail for example. They are rather beautiful and one can line up the Golden Ratio's curve with them somewhat. You can do this with all kinds of fractal and fractal like objects. It's not perfect, but you can line them up.

Now, with this in mind, imagine having knowledge of the sound of the Golden Ratio (in music) in your head. The general pattern of a given sequence of notes or percussion hits or whatever. Just the interface though, not the actual notes themselves. Now, with this template in mind, one could write a series of very beautiful sounding melodies and rhythms. It wouldn't be an exact match to the golden ratio, but it would be quite like it.

Really uplifting melodies for example, they have a general upwards curve, perhaps starting with longer notes, getting shorter and higher as the melody progresses, or shorter first, then longer. But in a general upward curve to a similar ratio to that of Phi. Of course you could curve the melody any which way you wanted to and fit it to a modal scale and with this curve it would probably be aesthetically pleasing.

I am not saying use the exact ratio here, but saying that one could use a sort of 'graphic' of the general interface to create beautiful sequences. Fractal music, but not with all the exact number application stuff.