ebay makes me angry

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

ebay makes me angry

Post by AK »

I go on ebay looking around for some inspiring gear ideas and end up getting wound up. I've just seen a 'rare' ( I don't think so mate ) TR606 for £645. What the hell is that all about?

Somebody sees a buy it now price and thinks it's the going rate and adds another £100 to it, then along comes muppet no: 2 and does the same thing. Not that I want a 606 or anything but that's not the point. Isnt there a danger of pricing each other out of the market?

Its not just the 606 either, I see tons of stuff which are of seriously limited musical potential priced through the roof because it's analog or 'vintage'. Some idiot is selling that pretty recent sp 808 groove sampler thing and has labelled it, 'rare and vintage'. Vintage my ass.

This sort of idiot selling has repercussive effects for the retail consumer too. Not too long back I had the opportunity to buy an MC202 from a local 2nd hand music store. The price was £199.00. I didnt buy it at the time for financial reasons but noticed it disappeared off the shelf only to reappear a month later at £450. Why? Because he'd seen one on ebay with the price going through the roof.

I'd like another sh101 at some point, about 10yrs ago I had the grey one with mod grip and paid £180 for it. Now I'm seeing them average £400 and there's a blue one on ebay now for around £650 I think. Ridiculous.

Now I only look on ebay for the window shop aspect and dont fully understand the 'buy it now' concept so I could be forgiven if I've got it wrong but if not then I feel justified in my urge to want to slap these people in the head.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i totally agree when it comes to some bits of overated, or not even vintage kit, but the thing is if you look at it from a different perspective, like £400 for a really nice sounding pure analogue synth, which will never be built again to those specifications, with all those discrete components, then its not so expensive.

i paid £30 for each of mine, (one with the mod grip) when nobody wanted them, but i dont think £400 is outrageous tbh.
the blue ones are very rare, and if thats what you are really into, then you would pay that for it.

i totally agree that ebay has hiked the prices up, but this stuff is now over 25 years old, it is actually vintage gear, and if thats what you're into.......

but also ebay has made stuff actually available, when i bought mine, it took me two years to track them down, i only had the local Loot mag to trawl through every week, i used to get up at the crack of dawn so that i'd be first to respond to anything in there, it was a pain in the arse.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah i think £400 is not crazy for a 101. Not a bargain, but you're gonna be pretty lucky to find thse deals nowadays.

The best deals generally are on forums, I believe
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

It wasnt too long ago that a £400 price tag for an sh101 would have seemed outrageous and yet now people assume it's the norm. This is the exact inflation effect of what im describing and with the advent of the Internet and auction sites like ebay, the potential for ever increasing gear prices is frightening. Nobody wants to lose out on a few quid but this sort of hill climbing selling tactic is pricing all but the financially secure out of the market.

I know analog gear is fashionable but it's not getting 'more fashionable' so why the constant increases? Here's why; Because the rate at which the selling prices are increased. It's a slow effect and the buy/sell community don't worry too much about paying £10 more for the same thing sold last week. Over a period of yrs you end up having a gap of hundreds and if you havent been noticing the market for 12 months, you would wonder what the hell was going on.

Yeah I know with the advent of digital, a lot of analog stuff could be got for peanuts but when it became popular again, a lot of prices soared and then kinda plateu'd. Analog hasnt suddenly become 'more' popular, yet its prices are still on the rise.

True you are always going to get items that are popular ( like the 101 ) which are bound to see an increase in price due to that popularity but my main gripe is the people who whack up prices on all things analog or vintage so as to get in on the action. I've seen sh09's go price mad because of the 'sh tag' and now I have seen the 606 go through the roof for undoubtedly, similar reasons.

Anyone want my vintage and rare Boss dr660 for £300. Contains ANALOG TR909/TR808. Just google tr909 to find out what type of sounds this fully spec midi floorshaker can do. Complete with psu and about 256 other samples. Own a piece of vintage history, as used by squarepusher.

(above intended as humour, not sour grape moaning lol)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think the rise in decent software has had an effect on analogue prices and markets. i think for the forseeable future, 70-80% of electronic musicians are gonna be in software, and analogue is gonna be a boutique item. So expect old things to gain in price, unless anything crazy happens in the market like another Roland esque wave (very unlikely).

For me modular is where all the action is. Not always cheap but as much atention to detail as you're gonna find, like designers using components that are possible to replace easily (i.e. lots of old gear uses chips that are no longer manufcactured, and you're gonna be exposed to cruel market forces all over again if a chip fails).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think old analogue gear is getting more popular.

when i first came on this forum, i used to go on about analogue gear and i think people just thought i was a nutter, almost everybody was software based, but now people are realising that having some hardware is actually worthwhile and consequently the market is very active.

but i agree with AK, the prices of the analogue kit which was never very sort after is ridiculous.
if you buy a TR606 at those prices, and expect something similar to an 808 or 909 youre going to be well f*cked-off when you hear the kickdrum.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think it's gonna be 20% of people who are interested in analogue, but really really interested. And 80% of people who are happy in software.... and obviously the bigger companies are gonna look to cater to the majority.

Analogue is definitely far from being dead, or only avialble in old machines
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Jomox recently re-made a a limited number of their older, discontinued units like the xbase 09 etc. The price they put on the xbase 09 was something like €800 and since then the 2nd hand price on ebay has jumped from €300-400 to €550-650. Thats a hell of a lot to be paying for mediocre drum machine.

One of the problems for genuine ebay sellers is that ebay takes 10% of the sale price, so sellers pad up prices and the postal costs. This ends up increasing the percieved value of the unit and after a while that 10% protection buffer increases again...and so on and so on.
Prices on my local buy and sell site are usually a lot fairer and negotiable.