music industry perspectives

- open
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

music industry perspectives

Post by mlexicon »

i kinda came away with some new found respect for some dudes i thought were total bullshit. some nice interviews and intersting perspectives.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/interac ... htclubbing
signatures suck
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

last two minutes of Pete Tong interview about dj'ing is pretty cool. And true :)
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

Pete Tong seems like a very friendly guy :)
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Totally don't get what he wrote about deadmau5. I can't say I'm into his music, but thought he had some reasonably intelligent stuff to say. Unless the footage was heavily edited in deadmau5's favour I don't see how he was being diva-ish in the slightest?

TBH he just seems like a guy who's got some opinions, talks a lot and is clearly a bit geeky about music technology. As far as I can see there's no evidence of "fame and attention going to his head".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/may/28/deadmau5
It also becomes clear that, really, Joel is not too happy doing the interview, and has already decided that my questions are dumb, and my presence an impertinence. I'd underestimated how diva-esque the man who wears the all-dancing mouse head has become, as if the flashing mouse head represents as much as anything the size of his ego.

I'd read rumours that Zimmerman could be a little edgy, if not actually totally arrogant, and put this down to how quickly – in a quick world – he has travelled from sitting/stewing/friending/programming in his basement studio mixing up a private storm to becoming a dance/pop superstar with a brand name and logo that makes Mickey Mouse look a bit Mickey Mouse. He doesn't seem to want me as a friend, so I don't bother asking what relation he is to Bob Dylan, although I do make the mistake of referring to how he once went on a rant about how much he dislikes the phenomonen of the performing disc jockey playing other people's records – which he has subsequently apologised for, not least because he needs these DJs to play his music. This triggers a minor diva huff and puff, and a final sign of how fame and attention can go to anyone's head, even, or especially, to the head of someone who hides underneath a giant mouse head. Let's hope he doesn't lose his head completely.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de