PANNING PROBLEM IN ABLETON

all things.
mkf2010
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

PANNING PROBLEM IN ABLETON

Post by mkf2010 »

New to ableton and am having some problems with track panning.

i have ableton suite, and i use a focusrite saffire 6 usb to hook up my speakers. i can pan the master tracks and it switches from left to right. but i cant pan individual audio tracks or midi tracks.

Is it something to do with the sample itself, abletons settings, my interface settings? i have no idea and its driving me mad.

I tried recording some audio tracks from the panned master track and it recorded it on one side but as soon as i saved them and put them bak into ableton they turned to stereo agen with no panning.

My audio tracks appear to have an a left and right part, does that mean tht it is 2 mono samples?

Any help would be amazing as, all my tracks are sounding very flat without the correct drum percussion panning to give it depth.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Before I try to answer this question I need a clarification. Do you mean that you don't see a pan control knob on any channel other than the master? Or the pan knob is not panning the sounds from left right?

If you can pan the master then I don't see how it could be an audio card issue. You're not sending separate sounds to different outputs via hardware are you?
mkf2010
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mkf2010 »

Phurniture wrote:Before I try to answer this question I need a clarification. Do you mean that you don't see a pan control knob on any channel other than the master? Or the pan knob is not panning the sounds from left right?

If you can pan the master then I don't see how it could be an audio card issue. You're not sending separate sounds to different outputs via hardware are you?
all the pan controls are visible for master track, audio tracks and midi tracks so the pan knob for midi and audio isnt panning.

my audio samples appear to have left and right parts and i think my midi tracks have some stereo samples put into them using sampler.

iv got a simple set up of laptop, focusrite interface, krk moniters and an mpk25 so theres no sounds going anywhere else.

the thing is i can record a sample out of ableton through the master thts panned left. it will play on the left fine. but when i put it bak into ableton in an audio track or sampler it resorts back to centre.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Hmmm...I'm a bit confused by this line: "I can record a sample out of ableton through the master thats panned left. it will play on the left fine. but when i put it bak into ableton in an audio track or sampler it resorts back to centre."

So is the problem that you're panning something in the master (and you can hear the effect), but then you're trying to resample that sound, place it into a new channel and it's centered again? I'm not completely sure what the process you describe above is all about. I thought you had samples in the clips and you couldn't pan those.

And whether or not the samples in any clip are stereo or mono has no relevance on the effect of the panning knob. Either type of clip should be able to be panned left or right. [/code]
Quantize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Quantize »

I'm not sure I completely understand the question, but.....

The output meters in Ableton are stereo ie they output a stereo signal flow. If you put a mono sound through them it will appear identically on the left and right channel.

In your example you will still only hear the sound that you resampled (ie just the left side of the original sound) but it will play equally out of both speakers. If you want it to play only out of the left then pan it left again.

It may help if you explain what you are trying to achieve.
mkf2010
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mkf2010 »

ok sorry about this ill try to be a little clearer...

basically i make a track using stereo samples and midi tracks with some synths and i can individually pan all the tracks and everything works.

Then i export the audio to a stereo file and listen to it on lets say itunes. i save and close ableton but when i open it bak up the individual tracks no longer pan and when they are panned hard left they go a little quiet but when there panned right there alot quieter but stay in the middle pretty much.

if i open a new set, everything individual track pans correctly but as soon as i export the audio, my panning ability dissapears....its very frustrating!

i just want to be able to pan individual tracks on lets say percussion so i can add alot more space and depth to my tracks, but it keeps messing up

any help would be great
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

mkf2010 wrote:ok sorry about this ill try to be a little clearer...

basically i make a track using stereo samples and midi tracks with some synths and i can individually pan all the tracks and everything works.

Then i export the audio to a stereo file and listen to it on lets say itunes. i save and close ableton but when i open it bak up the individual tracks no longer pan and when they are panned hard left they go a little quiet but when there panned right there alot quieter but stay in the middle pretty much.

if i open a new set, everything individual track pans correctly but as soon as i export the audio, my panning ability dissapears....its very frustrating!

i just want to be able to pan individual tracks on lets say percussion so i can add alot more space and depth to my tracks, but it keeps messing up

any help would be great
sounds like a bug!! never happened to me!
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Are you using a legit copy of Ableton? This does sound odd. Perhaps you can get some answers from the Ableton forum:

http://forum.ableton.com/