dark music business

- open
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

dark music business

Post by Luis Isaac »

I live in Barcelona and during this year i was told by labelsrelatedpeople that many producers were growing up their careers by making agreements with top Dj's of the scene. So those top high well known dj's were happy to play the rookies tracks for a good amount of money. The beginner producer get the recognition as a result.
Last week I met a guy who is on the top of the scene, so I asked him if this was true. He told me that it is stupid that this guy who owns a big cache were to accept tracks for money. Sometimes they accept to play them as a favour but not for money.
But then what amazed me :shock: , he sayed that almost 40% of the tracks that are supposed to be released by Dj's with big names are worked by another hidden producers.
Well i got a bit confused about this, what do you think about this?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: dark music business

Post by tone-def »

Luis Isaac wrote: But then what amazed me :shock: , he sayed that almost 40% of the tracks that are supposed to be released by Dj's with big names are worked by another hidden producers.
Well i got a bit confused about this, what do you think about this?
he probably means Loco Dice, Timo Maas and Sasha having their music produced by another producers. there are more and it only really happens with the big commercial artists and tracks. it's not worth anyones time making an underground track that will not make any money or give you any credit.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:
he probably means Loco Dice, Timo Maas and Sasha having their music produced by another producers.
I think you would be surprised to know how many who have others to do their music... I think I could mention the first 50 from both big stars to way smaller artists, it's very common.
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

patrick bateman wrote:
tone-def wrote:
he probably means Loco Dice, Timo Maas and Sasha having their music produced by another producers.
I think you would be surprised to know how many who have others to do their music... I think I could mention the first 50 from both big stars to way smaller artists, it's very common.
spill the beans then...i'm curious...
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

I reckon it's a blurred line between the traditional producer role and the 'co-writer' role, but it would be interesting to know if any major player is in fact a novice when it comes to production.

I mean, Loco Dice has been open about working with Martin Buttrich, and was not Thomas Schumacher and Stephan Bodzin a tandem pair for a long while? Maybe it's not as dodgy as we like to believe...
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

When it happens in the literature field it is considered as a fraud. I agree this thing doesn't happen with underground music because the reasons for making these kind of tracks are different of fame and gigs/mon.This is a little bit harsh topic and I want it to be more funnier, maybe It could be cool that producers had to prove the authority of the tracks showing the project files :D
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Luis Isaac wrote:maybe It could be cool that producers had to prove the authority of the tracks showing the project files :D
Who should they show it to, the techno police?
and for what purpose?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

zentex wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
tone-def wrote:
spill the beans then...i'm curious...
is that really so big of a secret anyway? Often enough, if you read an article about "my coproducer" you can safely bet that 8 out of ten times that means they paid that dude to make the music for them :) People I know that "co-produce" a lot: Gregor Tresher, Sierra Sam, Tom Hades,... and probably a lot more of them.

It might sound a bit dodgy, but you also must realise that a lot of these big names travel 4-5 days per week, so you really think that in the rare moments they are home they'll jump in a studio and produce music? They need to recuperate from the heavy weekends and the airports mostly. There's not much place for romantic views on that level of professionalism.
It's a pretty good deal too if the "big name" also helps out the producer in return. Which also happens: I know for a fact that the big names are very very willing to help out the people who produce for them, which is of course partly because they need them, but also a sense of grattitude and even friendship in most cases.

Luis: in literature there are plenty of people who write books for others, or do you think David Beckham writes his own biography :lol: