Cubase to Ableton?????

- ask away
harvoir
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Cubase to Ableton?????

Post by harvoir »

I'm thinking of changing from cubase to ableton..

Please help me with the following..

What are the good points?

What are the bad points?

Can i use all my vst instruments with it?

Is it easier to use with midi controllers? i.e my Behringer bcr?

Thanks in advance for your advice......

Merry Xmas
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

hmm i had my problems with the sequencer.. it's a bit odd when u come from cubase..
another thing is that you dont have that much routing possibilities like in cubase
the rest you mentioned works very well
forky forkerson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by forky forkerson »

I just got ableton a couple days ago and love it.

What are the good points? hmmmmmmmm almost everything

What are the bad points? havent found anything yet

Can i use all my vst instruments with it? yes, and the included ableton instruments and effects are outstanding.

Is it easier to use with midi controllers? i.e my Behringer bcr? it has a pretty easy midi learn function, you just turn on the midi edit, select a paramater and turn a knob.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

One of the bad points are that there is no destructive editing (as far as I know) within the program - you have to use an external editor.

this is a bit painful if you're planning to record hardware synths and especially if you're going to edit a recorded audio-track and match it to the timegrid/transportbar/whateveritiscalledinlive... it's pretty hard if as you can not see what you're doing as you're in the seperate wave-editor.

note: I've only tried out the demo of live 5, there is probably someone with more knowledge than me about this issue. I'd love to hear a workaround on this because I'm going to switch to live within in a near future. (I'm selling pretty much all my hardware right now, just keeping a few which I simply can not part)
sonicwalker
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Cubase to Ableton?????

Post by sonicwalker »

harvoir wrote:I'm thinking of changing from cubase to ableton..
I have been using Cubase since my Atari days but since I got Ableton Live I haven't touched it again. I even upgraded to CX2 once but didn't do anything more than installing it.

Cubase is a static and linear tool and requires an classical and abstract way of working with music, which is the contrary of what works well for me. Live encourages are more playful and intuitive approach, much more like working and improvising (live) with traditional hardware sequencers and synths as well as DJing.
sajin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sajin »

I've used both, and since I've switched to ableton I haven't found anything I couldn't do with ableton that I did with cubase.

I will note that sometimes you have to dig around in ableton to see all of it's possibilities. There are a ton of features in ableton that can be combined to get different results, but they are not always as obvious as when using cubase.

I would suggest cruising around the ableton forums, especially the tips and tricks, if you are hesitant in changing, and see some of the features people have come up with.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

as I said - I'd like to hear about a workaround with the non-destructive editing...?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Cubase to Ableton?????

Post by plaster »

harvoir wrote:

What are the good points?

- good points are that ableton can beatmatch anything you put in it with almost no effort at all. while you had to time stretch everything in cubase, i find this option really really helpful.

What are the bad points?

-hmm, i can only tell you what are the bad points when u look from reason to ableton, not sure about cubase.

Can i use all my vst instruments with it?

- yes, u can use all of your vst instruments in an old fashioned way.

Is it easier to use with midi controllers? i.e my Behringer bcr?

- assigning midi is really easy in ableton.

Thanks in advance for your advice......

Merry Xmas
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.