Need some advice: UC-33e + APC20/APC40/Launchpad

- ask away
TimTor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Need some advice: UC-33e + APC20/APC40/Launchpad

Post by TimTor »

I have been using my M-Audio UC-33e midi controller for quite some time now with Ableton Live 8, but I want to expand my setup with one of the following "touchpad" controllers:

- APC20
- APC40
- Novation Launchpad

First of all, I would like to know: does it work properly to have two midi controllers working at the same time? I know the APC uses a different view layout (with the red box to show where you are), would that harm the usage of my old UC-33e?

I would also like to hear your view on the above mentioned controllers. Which one is the best choice and why?

Cheers,
BlueCode Records - BCR011 - Dubious Methods - Out now (free release)!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I can only comment on the apc40 which I have and use in my studio, and it's really a beauty to work on. Am so happy about it.
Have seen several acts use it live also, seemed to work perfect also.
TimTor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TimTor »

Patrick, have you ever tried to use another controller next to it? If so, any feedback on how it works with the 'red view box' feature that comes with the APC software.

patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

TimTor wrote:Patrick, have you ever tried to use another controller next to it? If so, any feedback on how it works with the 'red view box' feature that comes with the APC software.

Nope, sorry.
But the red view box is only a visual display of what the pads on the acp40 is controlling..
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i would gofor launchpad because you have uc33 and its a great tool:) launchpad > apc40 if you already have the uc33... cheaper plus you can more things :)
its all about the rhythm
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

Is it possible with the uc33 to launch the clip pressing the buttons on the right side?
TimTor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TimTor »

Alex Bizzaro wrote:Is it possible with the uc33 to launch the clip pressing the buttons on the right side?
Well, you could map a few things to those buttons but I already have my gains on those so I am running out of options 8)

@Rookas,

I've just compared the UK prices and APC40= 330 pounds, APC20= 180 pounds, Novation = 150 pounds.

I am not sure if the APC40 is that much better than a APC20, although a few extra nobs and faders could be handy. Nevertheless, 150 pounds extra is a lot.

Than there is the APC20 vs Launchpad, which is a difference of 30 pounds. I've never seen a launchpad in real life, so I can't really compare the material quality
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

TimTor wrote:
Alex Bizzaro wrote:Is it possible with the uc33 to launch the clip pressing the buttons on the right side?
Well, you could map a few things to those buttons but I already have my gains on those so I am running out of options 8)
how do you do?
i'm able to map the knob of the uc33 to the knob of the vst, but i'm not able to map those buttons:-(
can you help me?

sorry if the question is a little bit out of topic

thanks
regards
alex