mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by diordior »

Oh god I work in the wine industry this could be trouble T_T
diordior
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by diordior »

Keep in mind if you're from Europe these prices will be much much lower than what I'm quoting...I live in San Francisco and we have to account for importing fees and currency fluctuation...

Red:

2006 Zuazo Gaston Rioja (~$14 retail)
Classic Rioja, good for everyday drinking without having to age 10+ years, and not insanely oaky like so many Riojas are these days. Low booze % too, which I'm a big fan of.

07 Hureau Saumur-Champigny (~$18 retail)
I love Loire Valley reds. For some people they're more of a love/hate thing, but I think they're fantastic. Medium bodied, great with food, raspberry + herbs, classic. Cab Franc in all its glory.

08 Germano Ettore Langhe Nebbiolo (~$24 retail)
Germano Ettore is a very well-known Barolo producer. Seeing as Barolo is way expensive, you can opt for the (slightly) more modest Langhe stuff and not break the bank. His 08 Nebbiolo is very, very pretty...lots of clean dried blackberry/black cherry, some whiffs of lavender, not astringent like most Barolos.

07 Cedre Cahors "Tradition" (~$15 retail)
Argentina gets all the press these days for Malbec, but I think Malbec from Cahors (SW France) is way more interesting. Cedre is one of the region's best producers. Their entry-level wine is awesome...lots of inky blackberry, plum, firm texture, whiffs of dust and earth. Try it with any grilled meat, it's wonderful.

Whites:

08 Seta Cepas Albarino (~$14 retail)
Albarino from Spain is delicious. It's kinda like a less aromatic, dry Riesling. Lots of lime zest/green apple/tangerine, but super dry and minerally. Amazing by itself or with shellfish.

07 Vina Valoria Rioja Blanco (~$15)
Lots of meyer lemon and sea salt. It's cool to taste a white wine like this that's on the savory side but still has lots of texture.

I love white wine and think people should drink more of it. Good classic Vouvrey is delicious and I drink lots of Kabinett Riesling as well...really good with food or cheese. Oh and I'm super excited about new roses coming in within the next month or so. I drink tons of European rose during the Spring and Summer. Don't fear the pink stuff! That's about it...don't feel like geeking out too much about wine on a minimal forum lol...
hernangrau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by hernangrau »

diordior wrote:Keep in mind if you're from Europe these prices will be much much lower than what I'm quoting...I live in San Francisco and we have to account for importing fees and currency fluctuation...

Red:

2006 Zuazo Gaston Rioja (~$14 retail)
Classic Rioja, good for everyday drinking without having to age 10+ years, and not insanely oaky like so many Riojas are these days. Low booze % too, which I'm a big fan of.

07 Hureau Saumur-Champigny (~$18 retail)
I love Loire Valley reds. For some people they're more of a love/hate thing, but I think they're fantastic. Medium bodied, great with food, raspberry + herbs, classic. Cab Franc in all its glory.

08 Germano Ettore Langhe Nebbiolo (~$24 retail)
Germano Ettore is a very well-known Barolo producer. Seeing as Barolo is way expensive, you can opt for the (slightly) more modest Langhe stuff and not break the bank. His 08 Nebbiolo is very, very pretty...lots of clean dried blackberry/black cherry, some whiffs of lavender, not astringent like most Barolos.

07 Cedre Cahors "Tradition" (~$15 retail)
Argentina gets all the press these days for Malbec, but I think Malbec from Cahors (SW France) is way more interesting. Cedre is one of the region's best producers. Their entry-level wine is awesome...lots of inky blackberry, plum, firm texture, whiffs of dust and earth. Try it with any grilled meat, it's wonderful.

Whites:

08 Seta Cepas Albarino (~$14 retail)
Albarino from Spain is delicious. It's kinda like a less aromatic, dry Riesling. Lots of lime zest/green apple/tangerine, but super dry and minerally. Amazing by itself or with shellfish.

07 Vina Valoria Rioja Blanco (~$15)
Lots of meyer lemon and sea salt. It's cool to taste a white wine like this that's on the savory side but still has lots of texture.

I love white wine and think people should drink more of it. Good classic Vouvrey is delicious and I drink lots of Kabinett Riesling as well...really good with food or cheese. Oh and I'm super excited about new roses coming in within the next month or so. I drink tons of European rose during the Spring and Summer. Don't fear the pink stuff! That's about it...don't feel like geeking out too much about wine on a minimal forum lol...
that's a nice review !

i'm thinking now... should we post some way to bought this babys right?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

diordior wrote: I love white wine and think people should drink more of it. Good classic Vouvrey is delicious and I drink lots of Kabinett Riesling as well...really good with food or cheese. Oh and I'm super excited about new roses coming in within the next month or so. I drink tons of European rose during the Spring and Summer. Don't fear the pink stuff! That's about it...don't feel like geeking out too much about wine on a minimal forum lol...
white wine makes me aggressive. i only really drink it when i'm eating fish and sometimes chicken. after a few glasses get ready for an argument! :oops:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

diordior wrote:I love white wine and think people should drink more of it. Good classic Vouvrey is delicious and I drink lots of Kabinett Riesling as well...really good with food or cheese.
I only drink white, and you almost never go wrong with a Riesling 8)
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

patrick bateman wrote:
diordior wrote:I love white wine and think people should drink more of it. Good classic Vouvrey is delicious and I drink lots of Kabinett Riesling as well...really good with food or cheese.
I only drink white, and you almost never go wrong with a Riesling 8)
Have you tried Albariño from Galicia?

Awesome white wine.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Alex M wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:I only drink white, and you almost never go wrong with a Riesling 8)

Awesome white wine.
It doesn't ring a bell I have to say, but I'll write it down, thanks.
diordior
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by diordior »

patrick bateman wrote:
Alex M wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:I only drink white, and you almost never go wrong with a Riesling 8)

Awesome white wine.
It doesn't ring a bell I have to say, but I'll write it down, thanks.
Albarino is thought to be a distant genetic relative of Riesling, which makes sense because you often get a lot of the same zesty tangerine/lime kind of stuff that you would get in Riesling, only Albarinos tend to be dryer and not quite as aromatic.