Snow leopard (idiot question.)

- ask away
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Snow leopard (idiot question.)

Post by ewinz »

Hi guys, what do you think about the update for mac osx, Im actually on 1.5.8 and I dont really know what can be better in snow leopard. thanks
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

i see no real benefit. i'm still on 10.5.8 on my laptop but the mac pro we have at work came pre-installed with snow leopard. apparently its slightly faster, but my laptop is working fine, and until i want to install something that requires the upgrade, i'll leave it as it is...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I did the upgrade and I absolutely don't see any difference whatsoever :lol: At least with Windows you noticed when you went from XP to Vista: your pc looked different, and turned to a nagging piece of crap. When you went from Vista to 7, it miraculously got cured and it looked a bit different again, but easy to work with.

I know Mac has a lot of fanboys (and for good reason) but Win7 is really good and simply opens more possibilities so the next time I need to upgrade I'll go back to Windows.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

better performance is the main thing. somethings look a bit different too. i think apple were a bit quick getting this update out. i would have expected leopard to be around for about another year before an upgrade.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

tone-def wrote:better performance is the main thing. somethings look a bit different too. i think apple were a bit quick getting this update out. i would have expected leopard to be around for about another year before an upgrade.
have you noticed an increase in performance then?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

on my girlfriends laptop. you need to reboot the system to get the best out of it though.

her photoshop seems to be much more stable.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

I have one MPB 2.4/4g ram with 10.5.8 and a unib MB 2.4/4g ram with 10.6.
I dont think that the speed is so better in order to make you upgrade at the moment. Even I always used beta and alpha software (when I was younger) I think now "if it works for you" dont change it. Only if you need some critical new feature.

I think you should wait until this summer.

tasos

PS: I can do ableton 8 tests if you really want it but the feeling is that the change is around 5% in Live under Hi load. (is also the 6month newer CPU)
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I have the same issue. I did not upgrade my system because i don't want to screw anything. At the moment logic runs fine and that's all i need.