Help with groove templates

- ask away
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Help with groove templates

Post by RichardLodge »

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help.

I'm experimenting a bit with groove templates. However I've run into something which i find a bit odd, but might be totally correct but would be good to know.

I have taken an Akai MPC-60 template at 57% swing from Reason and imported it into Logic to use. What i find is that it brings the 2nd, 3rd and 4th beats of the bar froward by 4 units (whatever that unit is?) and does the same to the off beats. These, as far as i'm aware usually stay dead on the beat when using other groove templates.. such as logics built in ones.

Have I done something wrong in importing the groove or is this just a trait of the akai samplers that give them their distict sound.

Also if this is the case would you recommend quantising the kick so that everything fits in to this groove.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Richard
kylemcsparron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kylemcsparron »

Looking at my Akai MPC templates that as far as I'm aware were ripped from a MPC-3000 seem to pull back the beat on the 2nd and 4th.

Have you tried applying the groove in both Logic and Reason and comparing the results? Then at least you'd know you had done something wrong in the conversion.

About the kick question, when dealing with groove it tends to be a matter of taste. I personally tend to worry about applying groove to things like the hats first to get things moving, then add everything else to taste. Typically I'll leave the kick as one of the last choices as sometimes I'll like it to underpin everything solidly on the beat but other times it may be necessary for it to feel looser.

But you don't have to worry about applying the same groove to each object, applying different grooves to different things can make more interesting rhythmic possibilities. Logic has a few more usefull quantise options you can see by selecting view->extended region parameters. Q-Strength is probably the most usefull as it allows you to choose by percentage how much the groove will be applied.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the MPC grooves in Pro Tools are as accurate as the other groove templates.

sometimes i use the same amount of shuffle on everything and sometimes i don't. it can make the groove more interesting but it can also kill it.