modular synthesis

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

It was a really nice day. Low key and friendly. Their 'demo' machines were the personal cases of Dan from Space Case... i went drinking with him and another guy afterwards... proper nice fella with a real life story. I think he would definitely be up for doing stuff... either just coming along or doing something representing Post Modular.

Performance was not my favourite TBH. But could have been a bad day for them.

Yeah I would feel a bit difficult letting people play on my gear. On one level it's really nice to make it accessible, but I shat myself when even a close friend was using my stuff... pulling on cables by the wires and bumping tubes.

Worth asking the BugBrand guy from Bristol if he wants to be involved... he always comes across as a really nice guy.

Jim Petherwick from Under_score was putting together a modular system the last time I spoke to him.

James Holden is a 'big' name but he's underground at heart and is worth asking to see where he's at.

I really like Umcorps... dense and mysterious ambient drone style.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

the thing is mate, i'm too busy to be dealing with it right now, so i cant be getting in touch with artists yet, maybe you could sound a few people out.

i dont have any money left, so people like james holden would be out of the question i think.
i'd like to keep it low key tbh.

speak by email on this bro.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

just came across this

http://syntheticmusicsystems.co.uk/

modular but in a 1U racks
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

those layouts make me feel ill and the functions don't look very inspiring.

You would find it hard to mix with other modular formats as well (athough it is possible).

I don't see the advantage of semi modular stuff really. You can make your modular layout like that by leaving cables in place if you like.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote: You would find it hard to mix with other modular formats as well (athough it is possible).
how so? you can get eurorack cases that fit in 19" racks, as do these.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

different systems have different standards. most eurorack oscillators output at a maximum -5 and +5 volts. The envelopes go from 0v to +10v. What standard do these conform to? What voltage will they de damaged by? Will they damage any modules that they are connected to?

Eurorack has more options and these questions are already answered becuase they are being deisnged to fit together.

That's just my feelings about it though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i kind of agree with oblio, they look a bit bland fucntion wise, and dont inspire me, but hell its good theres so much stuff out there

19" rack is cool, would slip straight into my rig.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yo tony I was just saying that 'i don't like those machines'.

If you really want to, you can mix and match analogue machines... you will need to be careful but it's more than possible.

I actually have 3 different formats of modules in my set up... frac rack, euro rack and wiard 300 series. I'm glad to do it this way and everything talks to each other ok.

My main instinct was just disliking those machines from a design point of view, and wanting to discourage anyone from getting stuck in a halfway house and thinking that 'this is what modular is'... cos frankly, if I got those machines and thought they were all you could do with modular I don't think i'd be 1/3 as excited as I am now.

I'm a bit worried about talking like I know my sh!t and scaring new users away. I don't really understand voltage that well and I get by alright... all i have is my ears, a desire to learn and the small amount of experience i've built up from using modular for a little bit.

ok said my bit now.