modular synthesis

- ask away
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

oblio, such an experience would probably inspired me to drop some real cash and dive head first into it. i watched a video interview with vince clarke, he showed his modular rig, and it was just magical to see
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

gowans wrote:thanks mate, im gonna check through this thread from front to back. i just need a basic system really, im more interested in the sequencing side of things, thats also confusing me, im used to seeing things laid out in a step sequencer format for me so i can visualise. i dont really make much 4/4 music now, ive been getting into a lot of 2step, half time stuff recently so im much more into percussion than big chords and pads, so if i can have a very small system that could handle some really fucked up rhythms from some percussion modules and some other basic sound modules that would be great for me.

if anyone can recommend a good setup for that or point me to a thread on the internet to help me with this id consider doing it straight away, as theres literally a mountain of modules out there and i dont know where to look, theres just too much info. im really confused as to what modules to get :(
musically i'm probably going in the same direction as you but i'm really not interested in using modular for drums and sequencing. i'm more interested in sound processing, bass and more melodic sounds.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:
gowans wrote:thanks mate, im gonna check through this thread from front to back. i just need a basic system really, im more interested in the sequencing side of things, thats also confusing me, im used to seeing things laid out in a step sequencer format for me so i can visualise. i dont really make much 4/4 music now, ive been getting into a lot of 2step, half time stuff recently so im much more into percussion than big chords and pads, so if i can have a very small system that could handle some really fucked up rhythms from some percussion modules and some other basic sound modules that would be great for me.

if anyone can recommend a good setup for that or point me to a thread on the internet to help me with this id consider doing it straight away, as theres literally a mountain of modules out there and i dont know where to look, theres just too much info. im really confused as to what modules to get :(
musically i'm probably going in the same direction as you but i'm really not interested in using modular for drums and sequencing. i'm more interested in sound processing, bass and more melodic sounds.
Same for me bro.

Can see it being really addictive though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:I like the look of the mfb oscs. You could esserntially build their synths from the individual parts as they pretty much offer them all.

Whats the loop function on most of the EG's I keep seeing? How does that work?
tbh, i dont like the MFB VCO, i'm using mine for bass because it just needs to do basic stuff for bass. the controls on it are fiddly, its awkward to tune ( fairly coarse tuning ) doesnt have PWM manual control so you have to attach an offset generator, which adds to the cost...... plus the have a very limited range unless you use CV>pitch, but they are no good as LFOs
i said earlier that most of the modules do what you want, the MFB is the one VCO i'm not that into, its good value but cuts lots of corners.

theres much better VCOs out there. i recently got a Tiptop Z3000 mk11, its the absolute dogs bollox, loads of features awesome sound.
ok it hasnt got 3 seperate oscillators, but i dont find them that usefull tbh, i tend to use them for FMing other VCOs, because theres not enough features on them for them to be useful.

i generally feel this way about any module which doesnt have enough control possibilities ie budget modules.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

with modular it's good to have a good quality VCO.

a lot of the fun is modulating the fck out of something. one vco dancing all over the place, or morphing waveforms. And a good interesting vco can give you good value for money.

There is definitely a place for 'cheap' modules though. Don't decide too much based on price... choose what you can afford but choose based on function and personal preference ahead of anything else.

Take the advice of others with a pinch of salt and be prepared to work hard and cross obstacles. It's not rocket science but there are lots of variables and you have to find your own path. In fact that is the fun part.

There are no hard rules about what is good and what is bad. Everyone has their own vision of what modules they use and how to use those modules.

Be cautious... research every decision... it's not all flowers and hippy electric paradise. You can plug in a module backwards and kill that module and sometimes even modules on the same row. But don't fear modular... it is designed for musicians.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

The Tiptop one looks great. Someone mentioned them on muffwiggler. The video on their website was a good listen.

I also read on both muffwiggler and gearslutz today about the mfb not being so good.

My friend has a modular so i am going to go play it next week to see what it is like.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

goomba wrote:I listened bro! :)
i'm glad.

hows everything working out?
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

so on the path to the modular world... but stuck in the semi-modular kinda world a year or so until the account is ready for a complete system..

anyone tried MFB schlagzwerg or kraftzwerg? i have a fairly good price coming on both but would like to hear a 2nd opinion on them.. any good at all?