modular synthesis

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

that's sensible dude. start with sound modules with midi-cv converter, and then see what else you can do.

honestly, you've got nothing to worry about. CV is childs play. I don't even think about it. It's just a way of sending information/messages between dfferent modules. All audio is voltage. And CV is the same but slower... like an LFO is just a very slow audio oscillator.

It takes some practice... it requires new skills that you mght not have learnt with other machines. But it's natural and you don't need to be a rocket scientist. Anyone who is prepapred to learn something new can do it.

It's hard to find the information... there's not a manua,l but the information is out there.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

thanks mate, im gonna check through this thread from front to back. i just need a basic system really, im more interested in the sequencing side of things, thats also confusing me, im used to seeing things laid out in a step sequencer format for me so i can visualise. i dont really make much 4/4 music now, ive been getting into a lot of 2step, half time stuff recently so im much more into percussion than big chords and pads, so if i can have a very small system that could handle some really fucked up rhythms from some percussion modules and some other basic sound modules that would be great for me.

if anyone can recommend a good setup for that or point me to a thread on the internet to help me with this id consider doing it straight away, as theres literally a mountain of modules out there and i dont know where to look, theres just too much info. im really confused as to what modules to get :(
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Nice one steevio! :D
oblioblioblio wrote:i guess i just feel annoyed that I wasted 1000 posts trying to explain something that could have taken a 2 minute video to show! :)

But whatever, I guess the end result is the most important thing. Modular is brilliant! (unless you're someone who doesn't like modular)
I listened bro! :)
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@gowans

i might be able to help you with the sequencing thing, my modular is heavy on the sequencing side, but i agree with oblio that maybe to get the hang of it, its easier to start with software sequencing.

then you can get a feel for it with things that are fairly easy to understand like VCOs, VCFs etc.

but if you want help with sequencing, i'm sure i can.

if you tell me how much you've got to spend, it will make it easier to asses your options.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I like the look of the mfb oscs. You could esserntially build their synths from the individual parts as they pretty much offer them all.

Whats the loop function on most of the EG's I keep seeing? How does that work?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i'm not talking about modular on here any more.

yep i've thrown my rattle out the pram.

muffwiggler.com has answers to every question you can think of. yes, some of the guys there make music with bleeps and bloops.

looping envelope. the envelope circuit feeds a 'go' message (a trigger) into it's own input when it reaches the end of the envelope. if that doesn't make sense... it turns the EG into an LFO.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@oblio

do you fancy running a modular workshop at Freerotation ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

that could be very interesting if it was put together right. i would be a bit nervous about having my gear around in a party type environment, but I think that could be managed, especially at freerotation.

i think the performance side should be emphasised... something like a side room that did some performances, or maybe some modular guys who appeared on some different stages over the weekend. and then one afternoon when people are in day time mode, have a space where people can try out some systems with headphones and the system owners are around to answer questions 1 on 1.