Running with techno music

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Running with techno music

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I like to run, and I like to listen to music when I do it. I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for music, preferably a mixed set that would be good to listen to on a run. I'm looking for something with a good energy. I am open to all music but prefer some form of techno.

Its surprisingly hard to find sets that are good to run to. Either to many breakdowns, too fast, too slow, or just not the right kind of energy. Running to techno is a little odd because generally the tempo its kind of 3/2 out of step with the natural human gate so when I run the cycles of the music end on the opposite foot... kind of like when you are swimming and you take a breath on one side then do 3 strokes and then take a breath on the other side. Hip-hop tempos can be easier to run too but I prefer techno.

For any of you who have never tried running to techno, try it! Sometimes when I have been running for a long time and I start to get that runners high and the sun is going down or coming up and the sky becomes full of lush colours I get the best feeling. It must be all those endorphins... They better then drugs... maybe. In some ways its just like when you have been dancing into a quasi meditative state all night long at some outdoor party then he sun comes up.

Anyways... sets! Got any good suggestions? I like sets to be at most 70-80 minutes because I usually don't run more then 10km. That run takes me about 50 minutes so that gives me 10 minutes warm up and cool down before and after. I like sets that have lots of moments where tracks have a good energy then when new tracks come in they take that energy and twist it a little... renewing and freshening the energy and making you put that new energy into your run.
miles
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by miles »

for me carl cox's sets work best when i'm running. an old sven väth or a monika kruse set is good, too. but cox has a good energy in his sets :) perfect for running..
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

lol Its definately hard work finding music with the right tempo for training.

A typical run will be 140-170 steps per minutes. So 140 - 170 (70-85) bpm music, maybe harder techno, dnb or hip hop.

Training on a bike you should aim to keep the pedals spinning at between 80-100 RPM, so 80 - 100bpm music.

I like to use a cross trainer because the ideal RPM is between 125-140RPM which is ideal for most house and techno :lol:

Other than that do something which doesnt require rhythm (play football, weights etc.) or just stick talk/sport radio on, no tempos and takes your mind off the effort.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

How about some ambient/drone to inspire you over the finish line? No problem with having to get bpm's right there. Thankfully I don't need to worry about that sort of thing sitting on my ass ;)
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

jeff mills and company ;)

have you considered just taking single tracks and making a playlist? i reckon that would be easier. you could even mix them yourself
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Check out my sets on my soundcloud (in the signature)

Most of them are with a lot of energy throught, or pick up as they go along.

Some on the harder side. I think might be good for Running. I like to listen to the at the gym sometimes
Christ Lewis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Christ Lewis »

I have tried to run on techno for a brief period of time, but I got frustrated that I couldn't adjust the BPM on my portable player. I frequently switch gears during running, so that was pretty much a problem.

Cycling on techno is a whole other story altogether. I can cycle on the whole range of 128BPM to 160BPM. I don't know how I do it, but I always find an enjoyable pedalling tempo.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Whatever you do, DO NOT attempt swimming.