Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Producing Berghain techno?

Post by hydrogen »

I went to berlin once. couldn't really get into berghain... must not be my thing.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Hades wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:
The difference between Americans and Europeans is Europeans are more political in terms of music. Berghain is like a Cathedral and a person isn't supposed to question the Catholic church.
This one's hilarious.
Have you even been in enough countries in Europe to make such a great generalisation ?
USA is one single country. Most of the people living there speak the same language.
I have a question for you.. have you visited the united states? Detroit or New York specifically..?
you should follow your own advised and your own "generalization" as you say..

United States it build on the basis being multicultural. Detroit is huge on Mexican, Latino, Arabic, Polish and every other culture one could think of. different cultures, from every country in the world, blending together in a single block, in many cities here in MI, and even more so in New York. so your bias opinion to make a point, makes mine..

that is all.

:-flower
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

John Clees wrote:
Hades wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:
The difference between Americans and Europeans is Europeans are more political in terms of music. Berghain is like a Cathedral and a person isn't supposed to question the Catholic church.
This one's hilarious.
Have you even been in enough countries in Europe to make such a great generalisation ?
USA is one single country. Most of the people living there speak the same language.
I have a question for you.. have you visited the united states? Detroit or New York specifically..?
you should follow your own advised and your own "generalization" as you say..

United States it build on the basis being multicultural. Detroit is huge on Mexican, Latino, Arabic, Polish and every other culture one could think of. different cultures, from every country in the world, blending together in a single block, in many cities here in MI, and even more so in New York. so your bias opinion to make a point, makes mine..

that is all.

:-flower
I have, otherwise I wouldn't have written this.

I have been in the USA 5 times if I remember correctly. I've travelled by car 3 times across the USA. Starting in Detroit, then driving westwards till California, then going south, then east and back up.
If I remember correctly, I think we've been through about 16 states in those travels. It's been a while now that I've been there though, last time was maybe 15 years ago.
I also grew up with Canadian family and spent many summers in Canada not far from Detroit (about 1 hour driving).
I also worked in Canada twice for several months (and one does see a country different when one lives and works there than if you're only there as a tourist).
I'll admit I haven't seen the East Coast nor the real South, and I plan on doing another big trip when my own kids are old enough to appreciate it.

On the other hand I've been to most European countries once (in most multiple times), with the exception of a few Eastern European countries like Romania or Russia and it's side-countries.

I think you misinterpret my words. (And I'll admit they might have sounded too general, but I was only trying to quickly point out how silly mr dal-tech's statement was.)
I'm not attacking the USA, only defending Europe and its diversity.
I also never said USA is made up by one single people, just saying it's one single country, and the official language is English.
Of course the USA has multi-cultures, like any big western country nowadays. Modern multi-cultural society.
And obviously, you have that a LOT more in big cities.
But that's the same over here in Europe, if you go to any big city (hell, probably almost every city above say 25.000 people nowadays), you'll find that multi-cultural society.
Difference is Europe has that on top of it's original diversity.

So if I'm talking about diversity in Europe, I'm talking about how Europe is made up of dozens of different countries, with dozens of different languages, and dozens of different people who all have their different cultures, and also religic beliefs (though I do feel that the diversity of different churches and other non-Catholic based religions is far bigger in the USA than in Europe).

Have you been in a few European countries ?
I'm not trying to do some Europe vs USA debate or something.
I've always loved my time travelling through the States, and I plan to go back again as soon as my kids are old enough.
(I doubt I could ever live there though, but that's another story.)
Like I said : all Europeans and Americans (USA + Canada) would benefit if we'd did an extended visit to each others continents. We'd learn a lot from each other.
Though we're both Western capitalistic democracies, we are so different from one another.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

Themis wrote:no no keep going on,
judging peoples opinions on their soundcloud plays and insulting their home country totally gets your points across.
Like i stated before, the thing with soundcloud plays was kidding. For the insult i'm sorry. (Which doesn't change my opinion that America is the most aggressive country on earth.)

All i wanted is to make clear that there is NO " Berghain Techno". There is "Industrial Techno, Acid Techno, Tech House, Deep Techno, Minimal Techno..." and fook knows what else. The thing that a lot of people classify as "Berghain Techno" is just Techno in his purest form...like it was in the beginning. There isn't much difference between Robert Hood's and Ben Klock's or Dettmann's tracks in terms of musical complexity.

Of course Dal-Tech can have his opinion about purist Techno and that he thinks,it's boring and easy to make (which it's not imo and even if...not everything must be complex.). But what he expected when rushing in and just saying "boring"?

I'm not a Berghain fanboy, i rarely go there. Club is cool but most of the audience is annoying to me. BUT the the "Hype" Dal-Tech talks about lastet about 7-8 years now. One of the longest running hypes i've ever recognized. Or could it be that it's just a real unique place and a lot of people love it?
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Mono-xID wrote:
Themis wrote:no no keep going on,
judging peoples opinions on their soundcloud plays and insulting their home country totally gets your points across.
Like i stated before, the thing with soundcloud plays was kidding. For the insult i'm sorry. (Which doesn't change my opinion that America is the most aggressive country on earth.)

All i wanted is to make clear that there is NO " Berghain Techno". There is "Industrial Techno, Acid Techno, Tech House, Deep Techno, Minimal Techno..." and fook knows what else. The thing that a lot of people classify as "Berghain Techno" is just Techno in his purest form...like it was in the beginning. There isn't much difference between Robert Hood's and Ben Klock's or Dettmann's tracks in terms of musical complexity.

Of course Dal-Tech can have his opinion about purist Techno and that he thinks,it's boring and easy to make (which it's not imo and even if...not everything must be complex.). But what he expected when rushing in and just saying "boring"?

I'm not a Berghain fanboy, i rarely go there. Club is cool but most of the audience is annoying to me. BUT the the "Hype" Dal-Tech talks about lastet about 7-8 years now. One of the longest running hypes i've ever recognized. Or could it be that it's just a real unique place and a lot of people love it?
that is right but also wrong.

Techno isn`t limited in any styles. Of course we have the streams you mentioned and these ones are evolved and established over the years.

The word "Berghain Techno" was just a short description of the kind of records the residents play. When you look at the Groove Magazines Charts over the last 8 years, you will recognize the typical records they played or charted: Techno (Dj Slip, Surgeon, Rob Hood, Len Faki etc.) mixed with Dubstep and "regular" releases. So what we have is the big room sounding material. Producer started to create tracks which fit this kind of music. Refer to Markus Suckut, Len Faki, Ben Klock, Dettmann, etc. The other known producer crowd make what they make and that fits also to the Berghain Sound. Also the way of playing and compiling is also typical for the term Berghain. The club provides just a platform for the new output and a sound what most people call in their slang as Berghain techno.

A hype got established!

Show me a club in germany / world where the independent evolved sound is the Berghain Sound. The closed Stammheim, Tresor, Palais, Ultraschall, Omen etc. are (were) all similar but not similar to the Berghain club sound (keep in mind they all presenting Techno). They have (had) their own sound.

I know you dont want to hear it, but you could define a certain stream of a sound of a club by calling it stammheim techno, omen techno, etc.. Berghain Techno got established in the scene.

What about the terms like Detroit or Chicago, a style in relation to a place and common terms established in the techno slang!! That`s the same discusion!

Ask some ravers about Berghain Techno and what they associate it with that word? Also ask them what they think about the other clubs (if they know it) and sytles from Detroit and Chicago.

You can say that the established term Berghain Techno includes all the styles you mentioned, like i said techno isnt limited.

Of course if you listen to Rob Hoods Minimal Nation oder Moveable Parts to a Ben Klock record there is much difference!!
From the production techniques, to the equipment, to the sounds and the usage of FX. But one thing is common they fit all the description of 4/4 monotone Minimal Techno.

With the hardware right stuff its really really easy to create such tracks. I need 10 minutes if i`m lazy! Keep in mind, you didn`t create anything new!! Make your own thoughts and start to create something new.

After 15 years of Techno i learned one rule, there isnt any rule.
Jaager
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jaager »

Hey guys, just stay on topic :)
I saw a video about the berghain techno sound. You can put an Corpus audio effect on your drum rack. Just put the dry/wet mix to about 13/14% and put the tune down to about 70 or so. You can make a different sound just by changing the resonance type. You can really get that groovy dark tune with a deep kick. It's cool to use and you don't have to put the reverb on your drums which makes your drums deep, but the reverb also 'eats' your low tuned kick, which you just want. Maybe this will help you out :).
I tried to get the dark sound too. I hope you guys could take a listen? and maybe give me some advice?

https://soundcloud.com/joeydejager/status-anxiety
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Maybe I should change my tune. I don't like Residential Advisor, Output or Berghain techno just because of trendy sh!t and hipsters but it can sound alright just like some nu-disco isn't bad or prog-house, Beatport whatever. Some of that stuff harks back to older techno or industrial and that's cool. Apply reverb to the kick dum, give everything a dark vibe like a spooky sound effects records, very repetitious.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i don't really like 90% of this berghain inspired, berlin stomping dark techno. even the new luke slater stuff as PAS is cool, but it doesn't touch his 90's works. the club itself is fine, it hosts many artists i am interested in who fall into IDM, noise or experimental categories. it's a club with alot of popular labels which are affiliated with it, but don't forget artists like Vladislav Delay play there, and he is a master of cliche and noncliche techno. he wears it like a pair of pants, "oh today i will make the most convincing vocal disco house you ever heard, and tommorow i will do my beatless free improvisation synth jam project"