The Minimalarkist's Cookbook @ Pitcforkmedia

- open
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

The Minimalarkist's Cookbook @ Pitcforkmedia

Post by zentex »

nice little column about minimal techno at pitchforkmedia.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/ ... 6-05.shtml

:)
daedum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daedum »

the author phillip sherburne is the guy that coined the term "microhouse". Now hes really pushing the term "ketamine house". Ive heard him use ths term in a few articles. personally i dont like that term. Nor do we another label for a subgenre of a subgenre.

but good article
---> My album is out now on Beatport and iTunes. <---
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I think the ketamine house is a pretty good one :)
he explains it in an earlier article, quite logical
:roll:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

I think Phillip is one of the best music writers out there, that said I don't know why he'd use the word ketamine. It's loaded and unless he is making fun of Simon Reynolds (aka Mr. Heroin House), I don't get the point, of an overt drug connection.

That said, I'm going to read last months article.

,g
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

i think its perfect. that ricardo track that came out on perlon a couple ago with the green n black totally reminds me of being in a k hole when i was like 20. i like k and i like microuse. whats more important i think is his concept of post-microhouse. though i like it i am getting really sick of pumpin' big room minimal techno/electro. microsounds i really think sound less commercial and more heady and cute and i miss the old akufen, herbert, luomo stuff that blew me away 4 years ago. kompak, b-pitch, guido schneider all great and ill play it all but my heart is micro. phillip is a great journalist and ive met him and he is a nice guy as well, quite the hip lil'n personna.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

neu!

Post by smith »

Ketamine House is to minimal techno as krautrock is to regular rock - Is that what we are getting at here?

I can hear what is being described and I agree it is a welcome change for the messier, and better IMO. I guess I am just nitpicking the Ketamine labeling (read: drug reference), but that's all right.. I always nitpick the language music journalists use. If I do recall correctly, my first interaction with Philip was over IDM about 3-4 years back because I was irritated by the proliferation of the term "microsampling," not so much his use of it.. rather everyone else’s!

,g
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: neu!

Post by adam »

smith wrote:Ketamine House is to minimal techno as krautrock is to regular rock - Is that what we are getting at here?

I can hear what is being described and I agree it is a welcome change for the messier, and better IMO. I guess I am just nitpicking the Ketamine labeling (read: drug reference), but that's all right.. I always nitpick the language music journalists use. If I do recall correctly, my first interaction with Philip was over IDM about 3-4 years back because I was irritated by the proliferation of the term "microsampling," not so much his use of it.. rather everyone else’s!

,g
I hate hearing people say that akufen invented 'microsampling'... it's been around a lot longer than his music..
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 000000 »

nope..he invented it!

i've seen the patents.

:lol: