Mac dead :( what now?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Mac dead :( what now?

Post by tone-def »

my logic board has gone and it will cost more to repair it than the actual computer is worth. although it's a sad day i'm excited about what to get next.

my choice is between imac 24" or macbook pro 15"

the imac has more of just about everything and i think it will be more enjoyable and easier to make music with the bigger screen.

the macbook pro is portable and i can start playing live.

i could always buy a big nice screen for the laptop or i could buy a secondhand macbook or do the unthinkable and buy a windows laptop for live.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

rip tony's old computer. (if you can dispose of it correctly somehow that's usually a good thing.)

anyways. playing live is good. and I don't think there are many clubs that will have space for big imacs (though some places are friendly about that stuff).

like you say you can get a bigger screen later if it helps you a lot. You've mentioned about using more analogue gear so maybe it's not 100% necessary to have a really massive computer screen (or a really high powered cpu or loads of ram)
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frickler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by frickler »

well its your decision basicly.

i can only say that i personally had an imac for 2 years and im really happy now i sold it and got a macbook pro, because its portable.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

you can part it out on ebay, or sell it all together, to recoup some money

I'm running a 15" Macbook pro, connected to a 22" monitor

got the wireless bluetooth keyboard too

nice set up to use both as a desktop in the studio, then unplug it for travel
erdbeerschnitzel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by erdbeerschnitzel »

I find those 24" Imacs too large to be honest. I've got the 20" 2,4ghz as my main production system and bought a cheap used macbook from ebay to play live -> I am not pissed when I have to clean it from zigarette ashes the day after club. This now is my productive system while I'm in the UK and it also works well so far. Shitty Case though, you surely have already seen macbook top-cases breaking apart at the lower right corner. The Macbook Pro Series is imo far to expensive for its specs.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the problem i have with the macbook is the lack of usb and firewire ports. i really want to get a Zed R-16 in the next couple of years and a tetra which has usb midi. plus i'll have external hard drive and other usb midi cables so the 2 extra usb ports on the imac are a big bonus.

i dunno, i've got time to think about it. for now i'll have to learn to use the song mode on my Electribe and find something i can record with.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

erdbeerschnitzel wrote:I find those 24" Imacs too large to be honest. I've got the 20" 2,4ghz as my main production system and bought a cheap used macbook from ebay to play live -> I am not pissed when I have to clean it from zigarette ashes the day after club. This now is my productive system while I'm in the UK and it also works well so far. Shitty Case though, you surely have already seen macbook top-cases breaking apart at the lower right corner. The Macbook Pro Series is imo far to expensive for its specs.
yeah my girlfriends (what i'm on now) is like that
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Mac dead :( what now?

Post by Daemonix »

tone-def wrote:my logic board has gone and it will cost more to repair it than the actual computer is worth. although it's a sad day i'm excited about what to get next.

my choice is between imac 24" or macbook pro 15"

the imac has more of just about everything and i think it will be more enjoyable and easier to make music with the bigger screen.

the macbook pro is portable and i can start playing live.

i could always buy a big nice screen for the laptop or i could buy a secondhand macbook or do the unthinkable and buy a windows laptop for live.
which type of Mac is dead? macbook pro with nvidia 8XXX gt??? its a free logic board if you have that one!!

tasos