Analog Mixers

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Analog Mixers

Post by gowans »

Could anyone give me a little help on this topic I've read numerous threads but I'm still a little puzzled.

I'm sick to death of mixing in a DAW on my computer. Say for instance I have a sound-card with multiple outputs, could I hook this up to an Analog Mixer and mix my track on that then Record it back to the computer or would this be completely pointless as its entering the digital domain again?

I'm having trouble understanding the concept of mixing desks as I've only worked completely in the box.

Say I had multiple tracks in Ableton would I just assign the outputs to the Mixers outputs? Its damn confusing to get my head around because I'm unfamiliar with the hardware and analog terrain.

Any help on this would be massively appreciated :)
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Analog Mixers

Post by clubfoot »

gowans wrote:I'm sick to death of mixing in a DAW on my computer. Say for instance I have a sound-card with multiple outputs, could I hook this up to an Analog Mixer and mix my track on that then Record it back to the computer or would this be completely pointless as its entering the digital domain again?

Say I had multiple tracks in Ableton would I just assign the outputs to the Mixers outputs? Its damn confusing to get my head around because I'm unfamiliar with the hardware and analog terrain.

It's a very sensible idea and you have exactly the right understanding. You can choose to output mono or stereo channels from ableton, run them through the mixer and record the stereo output back into your computer. Your main consideration is really on the quality of the mixer you're gonna get - you do need a decent one.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

Thanks for the help! Yeah mixers are damn expensive from what I've seen, its more just a clarification of how they work as I would never be able to afford one at the moment, and I dont really know what a good mid-price range mixing desk would be. I've heard the soundcraft ones are good but there's so many different models I wouldn't have a clue!
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

i use the soundcraft spirit studio 24 channel mixer. mackie's are good - maybe you should look at the Mackie 1402 as a good place to start.
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

I use a mackie 1604. Pretty decent sound quality and the routing options are great.
Also 6 aux sends, which is great for live dubbing.
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Analog Mixers

Post by steevio »

gowans wrote:Could anyone give me a little help on this topic I've read numerous threads but I'm still a little puzzled.

I'm sick to death of mixing in a DAW on my computer. Say for instance I have a sound-card with multiple outputs, could I hook this up to an Analog Mixer and mix my track on that then Record it back to the computer or would this be completely pointless as its entering the digital domain again?

I'm having trouble understanding the concept of mixing desks as I've only worked completely in the box.

you would run leads from your soundcard outputs to the individual channel inputs on your analog mixer.
then run leads back from the stereo ouputs to the soundcard inputs.
its definitely not pointless, although its going back into the digital domain, the analog mixer will impart its warmth and flavour to the mix and it also has the effect of glueing the mix together, which never seems to work for me in the digtal domain.
you can also do things which are impossible in the digital domain, like over-driving the channels to add analogue distortion to fatten up sounds.

dont EQ anything in the digital domain, leave it raw and use the analogue EQ's on the mixer.

Soundcraft do a slightly budget range of mixers called Spirit, Mackie are good but much cooler and brighter than the British desks, Allen and Heath are good.
if you arent using any hardware, you dont need a big mixer with lots of auxilliaries, you just need as many channels as you have outputs on your soundcard. if you want to start using hardware effects, then you need more auxiliary sends.
my advice, buy quality with fewer channels and sends, rather than cheap but lots of channels and sends, unless you intend to expand into hardware synths and effects.
avoid Behringer like swine flu, the EQ's are rubbish, you would be better off staying in the digital domain.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

zed r16 FTW.

This thing rules.

Its so nice it hurts.

I replaced like 3 pieces of gear with it. Ebay yer cat and get one! I did!
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

victorjohn wrote:zed r16 FTW.

This thing rules.

Its so nice it hurts.

I replaced like 3 pieces of gear with it. Ebay yer cat and get one! I did!
i have a zed14, the one you mentioned is $3k!!?? is the quality that much better?