Hello, could someone critique this quick little mix?

- open
Erich Zann
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Hello, could someone critique this quick little mix?

Post by Erich Zann »

I'm new here so if this is the complete wrong place to post things like this, I'm sorry in advance and I will remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoqbMFZdpxs

Thank you!
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Ok, U asked for it.

It is the wrong section, not the wrong place. I think I did something similar when I came here to MNML, so I thought let me listen to this and give it a chance and give an honest opinion before people start ripping this sh!t to threads.

Well...um...hmm...its kinda all over the place...some of the trax are cool, like the last one and the one before the last one. But theyre totally opposite tracks. Ones a techno/minimal/darkish track and the other a funky housy number. They're mixed together quite horribly( as are a few other ones), IMO they need a few buffer trax between them if u wanna switch genres/moods like that.

U need to have some sort of feel through out ur little set(even 10 min) From what I've heard ur just mixing from one track to another, and I doubt its on decks cause if u can mix records that fast u prob. wouldnt be asking for opinions on a forum. So if ur using ableton or traktor or whatever, u need to do something extra to make an impression, anyone can mix sh!t together on software more or less. If u play all uptempo trax or bangers, its gonna sound monotonous. Oh and get rid of the cheese, but again that just a matter of taste.

Hope this helps
Erich Zann
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Erich Zann »

miniKAT wrote:Ok, U asked for it.

It is the wrong section, not the wrong place. I think I did something similar when I came here to MNML, so I thought let me listen to this and give it a chance and give an honest opinion before people start ripping this sh!t to threads.

Well...um...hmm...its kinda all over the place...some of the trax are cool, like the last one and the one before the last one. But theyre totally opposite tracks. Ones a techno/minimal/darkish track and the other a funky housy number. They're mixed together quite horribly( as are a few other ones), IMO they need a few buffer trax between them if u wanna switch genres/moods like that.

U need to have some sort of feel through out ur little set(even 10 min) From what I've heard ur just mixing from one track to another, and I doubt its on decks cause if u can mix records that fast u prob. wouldnt be asking for opinions on a forum. So if ur using ableton or traktor or whatever, u need to do something extra to make an impression, anyone can mix sh!t together on software more or less. If u play all uptempo trax or bangers, its gonna sound monotonous. Oh and get rid of the cheese, but again that just a matter of taste.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Yea I figured that would be the main problem, the non-theme of it all. It was my first shot on Traktor so there is no excuse haha, no technical obstacles. I usually spin hip-hop/turntablism so this is all new to me so thank you for what you had to say. I just know I like the music and am going to work on my mixes and all that.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

it's probably comperable to what most people dj nowadays anyway
all you need to do is have some release on vinyl and you will be overwhelmed with gigs
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

apanell wrote:it's probably comperable to what most people dj nowadays anyway
all you need to do is have some release on vinyl and you will be overwhelmed with gigs
Well, I wouldnt go that far, but keep at it and make the right connections and who knows....

sh!t...if u a turntablist, use timecodes with traktor and incorporate those skills into ur sets.
Erich Zann
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Erich Zann »

miniKAT wrote:
Well, I wouldnt go that far, but keep at it and make the right connections and who knows....

sh!t...if u a turntablist, use timecodes with traktor and incorporate those skills into ur sets.
That's my goal but at the moment I have my decks, and I have a pirated version of Traktor, so no go on incorporation just yet. I am trying to come up with ideas to incorporate different things into a set so hopefully soon I can execute them =). For no though, I am just working on flow. Obviously I need to work on that a lot, heh.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Erich Zann wrote:
miniKAT wrote:

That's my goal but at the moment I have my decks, and I have a pirated version of Traktor, so no go on incorporation just yet. I am trying to come up with ideas to incorporate different things into a set so hopefully soon I can execute them =). For no though, I am just working on flow. Obviously I need to work on that a lot, heh.
U mean u dont have your decks and u have a pirated version of Traktor.
Erich Zann
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Erich Zann »

miniKAT wrote:
Erich Zann wrote:
miniKAT wrote:

U mean u dont have your decks and u have a pirated version of Traktor.

Nah I mean since I have a pirated version of traktor I don't have the proper soundcard to
connect my turntables to traktor.